Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint with what?

I got some Behr high-gloss latex enamel with which to paint some trim.

Using a Peavy brush, roller, or foam applicator all yield god-awful results.
Specifically, in the case of the two brushes, the paint looks like it was
applied with a fork. Using a roller, the result looks like an alligator
hide.

The application was on top of a Behr primer.

Any ideas on how to use this paint to yield an acceptable finish?

Thanks.

------
Failing expert advice, I'm gonna take a bit of trim with the aforementioned
application techniques back to the paint store and accuse them of selling an
anti-barnacle, boat-bottom treatment instead of paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Oct 14, 6:21 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
I got some Behr high-gloss latex enamel with which to paint some
trim.

Using a Peavy brush, roller, or foam applicator all yield god-awful
results. Specifically, in the case of the two brushes, the paint
looks like it was applied with a fork. Using a roller, the result
looks like an alligator hide.

The application was on top of a Behr primer.

Any ideas on how to use this paint to yield an acceptable finish?

Thanks.

------
Failing expert advice, I'm gonna take a bit of trim with the
aforementioned application techniques back to the paint store and
accuse them of selling an anti-barnacle, boat-bottom treatment
instead of paint.

Latex is second to oil, and Behr is second to the better latex junk,
Peavy makes guitars not brushes.

Sorry. It was a PURDY brush.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HeyBub wrote:
I got some Behr high-gloss latex enamel with which to paint some trim.

Using a Peavy brush, roller, or foam applicator all yield god-awful results.

I've used the Behr top-of-the-line high gloss over the Behr oil primer
w/ no problems. In fact, I've been quite pleased w/ it.

Since you're talking Behr, that's HD and they carry Purdy brushes.
Purdy makes good (and some not so much) brushes, but need the right one
for the job.

I'd never try a roller or foam w/ it, however, and I'd venture the
problem w/ the brush may be that it's a natural bristle instead of
synthetic. Natural bristle brushes soak up the water and aren't
suitable for latex.

Barring that, I'd guess one of three things...well, actually two as two
are similar just opposite extremes...

1. Either it's too hot and/or in direct sun or maybe too cool so it
doesn't have time to flow out before drying out, or

2. It is somewhat thick to flow well or you're not flowing enough paint
onto the surface and trying to brush too heavily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 06:21:13 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I got some Behr high-gloss latex enamel with which to paint some trim.

Using a Peavy brush, roller, or foam applicator all yield god-awful results.
Specifically, in the case of the two brushes, the paint looks like it was
applied with a fork. Using a roller, the result looks like an alligator
hide.

The application was on top of a Behr primer.

Any ideas on how to use this paint to yield an acceptable finish?

Thanks.

------
Failing expert advice, I'm gonna take a bit of trim with the aforementioned
application techniques back to the paint store and accuse them of selling an
anti-barnacle, boat-bottom treatment instead of paint.

You don't say what kind of brush - polyester or natural bristle. I
suspect you used a poly brush and you really need a bristle brush . If
not, the other way around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 07:19:59 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

I got some Behr high-gloss latex enamel with which to paint some trim.

Using a Peavy brush, roller, or foam applicator all yield god-awful results.
Specifically, in the case of the two brushes, the paint looks like it was
applied with a fork. Using a roller, the result looks like an alligator
hide.

The application was on top of a Behr primer.

Any ideas on how to use this paint to yield an acceptable finish?

Thanks.

------
Failing expert advice, I'm gonna take a bit of trim with the aforementioned
application techniques back to the paint store and accuse them of selling an
anti-barnacle, boat-bottom treatment instead of paint.

I haven't used that brand, but have seen similar difficulty both by
applying high-gloss myself and when a contractor
used high gloss paint. IF it is decent paint, thinning it should
improve flow and leveling. Penetrol is good
stuff that I have used to thin semi-gloss to use in a sprayer. Alkyd
paint can be thinned by adding up to
10% Penetrol. Flood.com has like product for latex paint called
"Floetrol". Check it out, he
http://www.flood.com/flood/Products/

I assume you are painting interior woodwork? I would never again use
latex for interior trim - it is too
easy to damage and stain and very tough to sand when it is time to
recoat. Some paint mfgs. also
recommend alkyd for interior trim.

Good 3rd gen latex is as durable, if not more durable, than Alkyd.
Doesn't stink and is easy to clean up. But you NEED to use the right
brush.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UPDATE: Paint with what?

HeyBub wrote:
I got some Behr high-gloss latex enamel with which to paint some trim.

Using a Peavy brush, roller, or foam applicator all yield god-awful
results. Specifically, in the case of the two brushes, the paint
looks like it was applied with a fork. Using a roller, the result
looks like an alligator hide.

The application was on top of a Behr primer.

Any ideas on how to use this paint to yield an acceptable finish?

Thanks.

------
Failing expert advice, I'm gonna take a bit of trim with the
aforementioned application techniques back to the paint store and
accuse them of selling an anti-barnacle, boat-bottom treatment
instead of paint.

So, I returned to HD and asked for a quart of oil-based, high-gloss enamel.

"We don't have 'high-gloss' enamel," they said.

"I'll take semi-gloss," I countered.

"It only comes in gallons," they parried.

[Cue Monty Python Cheese Shop theme]

---
"I'd link an ice-cream cone, if you please"
The waitress spoke and said "That's nice"
"And what will be your flavor please?
"We've 36 varities,"
"You must be more precise!"

"I'd like a chocolate," he said
The waitress said, while being kind
"We're out.
"Since just this morning we've been out
"But we have turnip, fig, and trout,
"And watermelon rind."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
ransley wrote:
On Oct 14, 6:21 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

I used Behr semigloss for panelled doors, using their primer and a medium
quality Purdy brush. I found that when it was being applied you could see a
lot of brushmarks but it dried extremely smoothly and all brushmarks
disappeared. I was extremely happy with the results and felt they were the
best I'd ever done -- better than the professionals had done using an air
sprayer a few year earlier.

If your unsatisfactory results were evaluated after everything was
completely dry, I can only guess that the climate was so arid that the paint
dried before the brush strokes had smoothed out. OTOH, if your evaluation
is based on the appearance after you've finished applying the paint, wait a
day until everything has dried before handling or installing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimR" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
ransley wrote:
On Oct 14, 6:21 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Also, what's it going over? Raw wood, primed, 87 coats of doG knows what?