Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement transformer for sweeper

I have a 12v Model CFV Type 1 Black & Decker Cordless Floor Vac which
uses a 12v transformer which I have temporarily misplaced. In the
meantime, I found one which I'd like to try out, with two different
settings -- one with 100 mA and the other with 300 mA output. Would
either of these two settings work OK?

Thanks
digger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"digger odell" wrote in message
I have a 12v Model CFV Type 1 Black & Decker Cordless Floor Vac which
uses a 12v transformer which I have temporarily misplaced. In the
meantime, I found one which I'd like to try out, with two different
settings -- one with 100 mA and the other with 300 mA output. Would
either of these two settings work OK?

Thanks
digger

read the label on the vac to see what it draws. pick a number on the
transformer higher than that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 4:27*pm, "charlie"
wrote:
"digger odell" wrote in message

I have a 12v Model CFV Type 1 Black & Decker Cordless Floor Vac which
uses a 12v transformer which I have temporarily misplaced. *In the
meantime, I found one which I'd like to try out, with two different
settings -- one with 100 mA and the other with 300 mA output. *Would
either of these two settings work OK?

Thanks
digger

read the label on the vac to see what it draws. pick a number on the
transformer higher than that.

That information "might" be in the missing manual but the only lable
is on the
base plate, dontaining the model number and the fact that it is
12vdc. My
simple minded thought is that the battery would simply charge in less
time
if I set the transformer on 300mA. I even have another charger
which
supplies 700mA.

Is there any danger of damaging the battery from using a trickle
charge that
is less/more than what's recommended?

digger
Posted to alt.home.repair

"digger odell" wrote in message
On Oct 6, 4:27 pm, "charlie"
wrote:
[...]

---

you can cause a fire if it's too low. there is no danger if it's too high.
see if you can google for the manual or specs on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 13:22:17 -0700 (PDT), digger odell
wrote:

I have a 12v Model CFV Type 1 Black & Decker Cordless Floor Vac which
uses a 12v transformer which I have temporarily misplaced. In the
meantime, I found one which I'd like to try out, with two different
settings -- one with 100 mA and the other with 300 mA output. Would
either of these two settings work OK?

Thanks
digger

Even with a 12v battery operated device there is no guarantee that
the charging brick is DC. I have seen Black & Decker cordless Ni-Cad
devices that will use AC bricks and have the rectifiers on board the
device instead of being in the charging brick.

If you don't know if the brick is AC or DC then purchase a new one:

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/docu...00,CFV9600.pdf

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Prod...x?partid=58757

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 12v Model CFV Type 1 Black & Decker Cordless Floor Vac which
uses a 12v transformer which I have temporarily misplaced. In the
meantime, I found one which I'd like to try out, with two different
settings -- one with 100 mA and the other with 300 mA output. Would
either of these two settings work OK?

Thanks
digger

You have a transformer with a 100ma and 300ma setting? Are you sure
both settings are at 12volts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a 12v Model CFV Type 1 Black & Decker Cordless Floor Vac which
uses a 12v transformer which I have temporarily misplaced. *In the
meantime, I found one which I'd like to try out, with two different
settings -- one with 100 mA and the other with 300 mA output. *Would
either of these two settings work OK?

Thanks
digger

You have a transformer with a 100ma and 300ma setting? Are you sure
both settings are at 12volts?

Both my substitute transformers will output 12vdc -- one is variable
ranging from 3vdc to 12vdc with a choice of two Ma settings -- 100Ma/
300Ma. The second transformer has a single setting at 12 vdc and 700
mA. These voltages have also been confirmed on my volt meter; needed
also to verify polarity.

Thanks, anyone and everyone, for your suggestions.

digger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larger amps is more likely to damage. Smaller amps just means longer charge
time.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"digger odell" wrote in message

Is there any danger of damaging the battery from using a trickle
charge that
is less/more than what's recommended?

digger

Posted to alt.home.repair

My understanding is that too low is no big deal. Too high can "boil" the
moisture out of the batteries.

Where did you learn this wisdom? If I'm wrong, I'd sure like to get the
correct facts.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"charlie" wrote in message

you can cause a fire if it's too low. there is no danger if it's too high.
see if you can google for the manual or specs on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"charlie" wrote in message

you can cause a fire if it's too low. there is no danger if it's too high..
see if you can google for the manual or specs on it.

I found the transformer listed on B&D's web but NO specs. Sounds like
the transformer wires would simply heat up if amperage was too low so
I could simply switch to to the higher mA setting????
Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message

you can cause a fire if it's too low. there is no danger if it's too high.
see if you can google for the manual or specs on it.

I found the transformer listed on B&D's web but NO specs. *Sounds like
the transformer wires would simply heat up if amperage was too low so
I could simply switch to to the higher mA setting????- Hide quoted text -

12v nicad is not 12v. A 1.2v Nicad is dead at 1.2v and charged at near
1.35v. They have an amp rating and you must meet it to fully charge. A
C cell might be 1.2-1.8a so 10 C cells could use a 14v 2a charger that
senses peak voltage to shut off, you can measure peak V by voltage
drop with a digital battery meter, its is also when batteries start to
heat up converting electrical energy to mechanical vibrating and
cooking the battery to death. Or go see what is sold or call a repair
center.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message

you can cause a fire if it's too low. there is no danger if it's too high.
see if you can google for the manual or specs on it.

I found the transformer listed on B&D's web but NO specs. *Sounds like
the transformer wires would simply heat up if amperage was too low so
I could simply switch to to the higher mA setting????- Hide quoted text -

12v nicad is not 12v. A 1.2v Nicad is dead at 1.2v and charged at near
1.35v. hey have an amp rating and you must meet it to fully charge. A
C cell might be 1.2-1.8a so 10 C cells could use a 14v 2a charger that
senses peak voltage to shut off, you can measure peak V by voltage
drop with a digital battery meter, its is also when batteries start to
heat up converting electrical energy to mechanical vibrating and
cooking the battery to death. Or go see what is sold or call a repair
center.

I'm a little bewildered by saying that a 12v nicad is not 12v in view
of the fact that the sweeper requires 12vdc to operate.

But I gather from what you say that an under-supply of amps (e.g.
100mA) would not allow the unit to fully charge and no voltage drop
would occur. An over-supply, on the other hand, would cook the
battery before any voltage drop would occur.

Out of curiosity, would the same be true for a transformer which only
supplied 10 vdc rather than 12vdc to the 12vdc rechargeable battery?

digger
Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message

you can cause a fire if it's too low. there is no danger if it's too high.
see if you can google for the manual or specs on it.

you're mistaking what it can provide vs what it is asked to provide by the
load placed upon it.

if a charging circuit attempts to draw too much current from the
transformer, and the transformer has no over temp or over draw circuitry (i
haven't seen a transformer ever have a fuse), then the transformer will
overheat.

the transformer doesn't provide 600ma all the time; that's just how much CAN
be drawn out safely. drawing less is not a problem. attempting to draw out
700ma out of a 600ma transformer will cause a fire eventually.

if the load only needs 300ma, then you could provide a transformer that CAN
provide 10amp (which would be pretty big), but the load will only pull what
it needs, which would be 300ma, which would be safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message

[...]

Ahah! Now for the second part of that question ... Adequate amps but
slightly under the 12 vdc .... say 1.0 Amp and 10 vollts out on the
transformer???

Posted to alt.home.repair

"digger odell" wrote in message

"charlie" wrote in message

[...]

it depends upon the load. incorrect voltage could be ok, may be bad for the
load, or the load may simply not work, depending upon how the load is
designed.

if the transformer (which could be either a real transformer (the wallwart
weighs a lot) or an electronic power supply (which would be very small
(think cellphone plug))) outputs 10vdc, and the load requires 12vdc, it
could run inefficiently, burn up, or simply refuse to work. the amount of
power it can provide is really immaterial at this point because you can't
determine what the load design requires.

the bottom line: provide the correct voltage with the correct polarity at a
power equal or higher to what is required by the load.

of course, if the load does something stupid like short out, then if you are
able to deliver a higher amperage than what the correct transformer for the
load is capable of producing, that extra power is going to go somewhere you
don't want it to, usually by either letting out the magic smoke or going
somewhere in a bright flash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message

[...]

digger- Hide quoted text -

A 12v car battery is 100% charged at about 12.8v, and near dead at
12v, but needs 13.3 to saturate cells on your 12v car, its the same
with alot af batteries, each nicad needs 13+v to be fully charged, 10v
wont do anything as at 12v its nearly dead and fully discharged, a low
amp charger will just take alot longer but you need volts 14 is good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message

[...]

Remember that I'm only using the transformer to recharge the battery
in the sweeper; so it gets disconnected when using the sweeper. The
only load would be on the battery. And the only question is whether a
10 vdc transformer would adequately recharge the 12 v battery
(assuming the amps are OK).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"digger odell" wrote in message

"charlie" wrote in message

[...]

your load is the charging circuit in the vac, not the battery. and no, 10v
will not charge the circuit enough to recharge its connected battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 5:32*pm, digger odell wrote:

"charlie" wrote in message

[...]

(assuming the amps are OK).- Hide quoted text -

would you use a 10v charger on a car battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks very much for everyone's contribution.

digger