Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solution for flooded crawl space

I have a house in Northwest Indiana, it's on a crawl space with a sump
pump. Due to flooding 2 years ago (Katrina) the crawl space was
filled with water and the sump pump couldn't keep up, and water
entered the house causing $$$ damage. What can I do to avoid this
situation in the future? Add another pump? dig up the crawl space?
Raise the house? Can anyone give me an idea of house raising costs?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 10:35*am, wrote:
I have a house in Northwest Indiana, it's on a crawl space with a sump
pump. *Due to flooding 2 years ago (Katrina) the crawl space was
filled with water and the sump pump couldn't keep up, and water
entered the house causing $$$ damage. *What can I do to avoid this
situation in the future? Add another pump? dig up the crawl space?
Raise the house? Can anyone give me an idea of house raising costs?

Thanks

To many things are not known, is house ground level, how much water,
was area flooded all around. There are pumps that will empty a pool in
minutes but will water just pour back in
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 11:35*am, wrote:
I have a house in Northwest Indiana, it's on a crawl space with a sump
pump. *Due to flooding 2 years ago (Katrina) the crawl space was
filled with water and the sump pump couldn't keep up, and water
entered the house causing $$$ damage. *What can I do to avoid this
situation in the future? Add another pump? dig up the crawl space?
Raise the house? Can anyone give me an idea of house raising costs?

Thanks

Ransley asks a useful question.

How deep is the water table? (I lived near Toledo in the Black Swamp
area where the water table was within inches of the ground surface.)
Does the ground slope away from the house? Is the crawl space floor at
the same level as the surrounding ground? Is the crawl space usually
damp?

The best condition would to have the floor of the crawl space at or
above the surrounding ground and have the surrounding ground slope
away from the house. A ‘curtain drain’ around the perimeter of the
house with a sump pump with positive drain might help if the water
table is low enough.