Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Encapsulated Crawl Space??

At a home & garden show today, I saw a number of vendors pushing their
encapsulated crawl space, mostly CleanSpace brand. In some ways it sounds
attractive but they claim you need no vents and no dehumidifier. It seems
to me that with no air movement there will be inevitable humidity build up
due to small leaks, air conditioning ducts etc. and that the mold problem
could be increased rather than eliminated (dark, moist, little to no air
movement).

Does anyone have experience with these? Good or bad experiences? If so,
how long has it been installed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Look at The Building Science Corporation web site.
This is * researched * informaition.
As a practicing architect, I refer to this information.
Your local climante has a lot to do with wheather or not this is a
useful approach.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Look at The Building Science Corporation web site.
This is * researched * informaition.
As a practicing architect, I refer to this information.
Your local climante has a lot to do with wheather or not this is a
useful approach.
TB

Nice site. I'm gonna be up all night. Thanks a lot. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

There was a government study that said this worked better than ventilated
spaces since ventilation lets warm humid air in and water condenses out
under the house. You need a good french drain system for it to work
properly.

wrote in message
news
At a home & garden show today, I saw a number of vendors pushing their
encapsulated crawl space, mostly CleanSpace brand. In some ways it sounds
attractive but they claim you need no vents and no dehumidifier. It seems
to me that with no air movement there will be inevitable humidity build up
due to small leaks, air conditioning ducts etc. and that the mold problem
could be increased rather than eliminated (dark, moist, little to no air
movement).

Does anyone have experience with these? Good or bad experiences? If so,
how long has it been installed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the reply and that great web site. Good answers to a lot of
questions there

On 11 Feb 2006 19:46:33 -0800, "
wrote:

Look at The Building Science Corporation web site.
This is * researched * informaition.
As a practicing architect, I refer to this information.
Your local climante has a lot to do with wheather or not this is a
useful approach.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Art wrote:
There was a government study that said this worked better than ventilated
spaces since ventilation lets warm humid air in and water condenses out
under the house. You need a good french drain system for it to work
properly.

wrote in message
news
At a home & garden show today, I saw a number of vendors pushing their
encapsulated crawl space, mostly CleanSpace brand. In some ways it sounds
attractive but they claim you need no vents and no dehumidifier. It seems
to me that with no air movement there will be inevitable humidity build up
due to small leaks, air conditioning ducts etc. and that the mold problem
could be increased rather than eliminated (dark, moist, little to no air
movement).

Does anyone have experience with these? Good or bad experiences? If so,
how long has it been installed?

I am an AC contractor and about 20% of my business is crawlspace
encapsulation. I started doing it based on my own research long before
I ever heard the term encapsulation. I even had an article published
on it in an HVAC trade journal.

Here is a link to my article on Crawlspace problems

http://www.contractingbusiness.com/C...S=&NI L=false

It is kind of technical, but I hope it helps. email me at sixfoot7 at
sccoast dot net if you have any questions. Note: if you live in a
desert, ventillation works better, most anywhere else, encapsulation is
better.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Stretch wrote:
Art wrote:
There was a government study that said this worked better than ventilated
spaces since ventilation lets warm humid air in and water condenses out
under the house. You need a good french drain system for it to work
properly.

wrote in message
news
[...]

OOPS! SORRY! They changed the link. Try this instead:

http://www.contractingbusiness.com/2...253/crawlspace

Stretch