Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT? where to buy motor brushes (for a convertible top motor)

OT? I realize finally that the problem with my comvertible top motor
is that the brushes are worn out.**

Any suggestions on where to get new ones?

Mouser electronics doesn't sell any motor brushers. Googling brings
up hundreds of sites for particular brushes for particular vacuum
cleaners, etc. I put in -dremel and so forth to exclude dremel brushes
and so forth, but it's not enough to find a place that sells a variety
of brushes. Chrysler just sells whole motors. Junk yards want at
least 100 dollars for a used motor. The one auto electrical shop I
talked to so far thought he would not have what I needed.

I'm told I won't be able to find the size I need, (3/8" square by 5/8"
long with a braided wire attached) but I don't mind sanding down the
ones I do find.

If I find a brush without the braided wire, is there any way to attach
the wire still in the motor to a new brush? I sort of think not, but
what do I know?

BTW, I won't be able to do this until I get the cast off my arm and
the abdominal surgery is more healed. I figure 3 to 5 weeks might be
enough and I'm plannng ahead.

** (Right now it often doesn't work, but does if I hit the motor!
Sometimes now I have to hit it more than one series of hits!! After
it starts, it works fine.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
OT? I realize finally that the problem with my comvertible top motor
is that the brushes are worn out.**

Any suggestions on where to get new ones?

Mouser electronics doesn't sell any motor brushers. Googling brings
up hundreds of sites for particular brushes for particular vacuum
cleaners, etc. I put in -dremel and so forth to exclude dremel brushes
and so forth, but it's not enough to find a place that sells a variety
of brushes. Chrysler just sells whole motors. Junk yards want at
least 100 dollars for a used motor. The one auto electrical shop I
talked to so far thought he would not have what I needed.

Many hardware stores have a good selection. I have no idea how many
variations exist though so I don't know what the chances are of finding your
size. .

Try these guys though. Do you know who the motor manufacturer is?
http://www.helwigcp.com/index.aspx Minimum order though, is $40
Could be this?
http://helwigcarbon.thomasnet.com/it...73731?&seo=110

Remember, that brush is worn so the length may be wrong.

Given the normal life of brushes and the infrequent use of a convertible
top, are you sure the brushes need replacing and not just a stronger spring
for better contact?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news
"mm" wrote in message
[...]

****

Check with electric motor rewinding/rebuilding companies in the Yellow
Pages. Most of them stock a huge assortment. Take in the brushes and they
should be able to match them. You can file or sand them to alter the sizes
slightly if you can get something close.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:45:40 +1000, "Larry" wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news
"mm" wrote in message
.. .
OT? I realize finally that the problem with my comvertible top motor
is that the brushes are worn out.**

Any suggestions on where to get new ones?

Mouser electronics doesn't sell any motor brushers. Googling brings
up hundreds of sites for particular brushes for particular vacuum
cleaners, etc. I put in -dremel and so forth to exclude dremel brushes
and so forth, but it's not enough to find a place that sells a variety
of brushes. Chrysler just sells whole motors. Junk yards want at
least 100 dollars for a used motor. The one auto electrical shop I
talked to so far thought he would not have what I needed.

Many hardware stores have a good selection.

Duh! (slaps head) I'm supposed to know what hardware stores sell! At
least you still do.

I have no idea how many
variations exist though so I don't know what the chances are of finding your
size. .

Try these guys though. Do you know who the motor manufacturer is?
http://www.helwigcp.com/index.aspx Minimum order though, is $40

I guess I'll have to buy 9 of them. But still, I'm impressed that you
found this company.

Could be this?
http://helwigcarbon.thomasnet.com/it...73731?&seo=110

Same cross section, and includes the wire braid I think or at least
enough to solder the existing braid to. And it's made by Delco. It
looks like it's made of two materials, side by side. Very intersting

Ford and Chrysler have used the same top motors, though not at exactl
the same years, since the 80's at least. One top motor guy, who
charges only 65 plus 10 dollars shipping (although he's running 400
emails behind now, he says) sa

Remember, that brush is worn so the length may be wrong.

I asked about this in a Chrysler yahoo list, and someone who had done
it said that was the length.

Given the normal life of brushes and the infrequent use of a convertible
top, are you sure the brushes need replacing and not just a stronger spring
for better contact?

Thanks for the warning. It is a 14 year old car, but I won't know the
answer until I take one of the motors apart**, and maybe I can't do
that until my arm is a little closer to healed. But that's ok.
That's why Im planning ahead.

But, I actually asked on two yahoo lebaron lists, and 5 people told me
it was the brushes, and no one said otherwise. They should know.

**I have the motor from the '95 I have currently, and one from the 84
I once had. I didn't save the motor from the 88 because I thought one
spare would be enough, since I've driven nothing but old convertibles
since 1967, and never had trouble with a motor, and the one from 84
was working when I junked the car. Yet when I tested it this year, it
didn't work. I'm sorry I didn't save the third one now.

The motors are interchangeable, but many/most/all of the parts from
one are not interchangeable with the other. I might be able to
remove the motor part from the '95, that's in there now, without
removing the pump from the car. That would be nice.

****

Check with electric motor rewinding/rebuilding companies in the Yellow
Pages. Most of them stock a huge assortment. Take in the brushes and they
should be able to match them. You can file or sand them to alter the sizes
slightly if you can get something close.

A very good idea. I callled a motor store (I've only found two in
Balitimore, and this is the bigger one, very big, very busy) that I've
bought a replacement motor for my roof fan, and he said they only did
AC motors, and the brushes would be too big, so I thanked him and hung
up, but if I'm going to have to sand them down anyhow, what's a little
more sanding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Check with electric motor rewinding/rebuilding companies in the Yellow
Pages. Most of them stock a huge assortment. Take in the brushes and they
should be able to match them. You can file or sand them to alter the sizes
slightly if you can get something close.

A very good idea. I callled a motor store (I've only found two in
Balitimore, and this is the bigger one, very big, very busy) that I've
bought a replacement motor for my roof fan, and he said they only did
AC motors, and the brushes would be too big, so I thanked him and hung
up, but if I'm going to have to sand them down anyhow, what's a little
more sanding.

You mentioned two layers, your brushes might have a copper
nickel and/or silver plating. That minimizes the resistance
of the carbon brush on low voltage high current motors.
Sanding those to fit will probably shorten brush life.
Check the commutator for dead or burnt spots. My old 914
had lots of motors, and I wasted many hours trying to
resurrect the dead. Occassionally a Japanese toy or tool
motor found a new home, all those motors aren't as different
as one might think. Hope you get your classic back to good
health.

-- larry/dallas

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 02:52:17 -0500, larry wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I'm sure I will.

-- larry/dallas