Posted to alt.home.repair

Default slide-in range

What's involved in replacing a drop-in range with a slide-in unit?

My current ancient down draft Jenn-Air has finally been authorized to
be replaced by the home warranty company. They are offering the
slide-in model
http://www.jennair.com/catalog/produ...t=69&prod=1464 and my wife
wants it. They won't pay for any cabinet modifications so that is upon
us.

Is there anything more than cutting out the baseplate of the cabinet to
allow it to go into the cavity? I don't know if a slide-in is
considered free standing or has to slid onto rails built into the
cabinet enclosure. I don't know if the old one is hard-wired or if
there is a receptacle. The exhaust goes out through the wall to the
outside of the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

What's involved in replacing a drop-in range with a slide-in unit?

My current ancient down draft Jenn-Air has finally been authorized to
be replaced by the home warranty company. They are offering the
slide-in model
http://www.jennair.com/catalog/produ...t=69&prod=1464 and my
wife wants it. They won't pay for any cabinet modifications so that
is upon us.

Is there anything more than cutting out the baseplate of the cabinet
to allow it to go into the cavity? I don't know if a slide-in is
considered free standing or has to slid onto rails built into the
cabinet enclosure. I don't know if the old one is hard-wired or if
there is a receptacle. The exhaust goes out through the wall to the
outside of the house.

I did find the installation instructions to be helpful after posting
the original message.
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
What's involved in replacing a drop-in range with a slide-in unit?

My current ancient down draft Jenn-Air has finally been authorized to
be replaced by the home warranty company. They are offering the
slide-in model
http://www.jennair.com/catalog/produ...t=69&prod=1464 and my wife
wants it. They won't pay for any cabinet modifications so that is upon
us.

Is there anything more than cutting out the baseplate of the cabinet to
allow it to go into the cavity?

Sometimes that is all there is to be done, but look very carefully at
the dimensions of the range and the current width and depth of your
present countertop and cabinets. Your cabinets might need some
reinforcing as a result of the cutting of the base.

I don't know if a slide-in is
considered free standing or has to slid onto rails built into the
cabinet enclosure.

The difference between a slide in and a freestanding range is the
freestanding one has finished sides. It could be placed in an area
where no side cabinets existed and look fine. A slide in range has
unfinished sides and is counting on cabinets to exist on each side. The
rails normally are only required for a drop in range since it does not
sit on the floor but on those rails. Both a slide in and freestanding
range rest on the floor.
I don't know if the old one is hard-wired or if
there is a receptacle.

Most drop in ranges are wired in rather than plugged in. To be sure
you need to pull out the present range so that you can see how it is
powered. You might need someone to install a receptacle for the new
range if it is (and most are) assembled with a plug.

The exhaust goes out through the wall to the
outside of the house.

All I can say is be sure you size up the complete situation so that you
are not hit with unexpected surprises. It might be a simple
modification, but it might require countertop, cabinet, and electrical
changes.