Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chainsaw blade sharpened?

On Sep 25, 10:41*am, Kenneth
wrote:
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:17:34 -0400, wrote:
That would be a better result than what I had happen once. I hit a
bolt embedded in a tree trunk and the whole chain went sailing past my
ear at a very high rate of speed. It was VERY close. ( It only dulled
one tooth of the chain)

whew... I gotta stop reading this thread...
--
Kenneth

I have hit nails and other unidentified stuff several times. Most
recent was Monday and of course it was with a new chain that I had
only been using for about an hour. Seems it always happens to a new
chain or one that has just been sharpened. Never broke a chain...yet,
knock wood.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 2:46*pm, "ng_reader" wrote:
Using my Poulan "Wild Thing" chainsaw this weekend, and a lot of burnt wood
where I made my cuts.

Don't recall the chain being so bad, but a new one --- on Amazon --- is $20.

My question is, is that the definitive answer of an unsharp chain? *Slow
cutting and burnt wood?

And, as a follow up, if I may, youtube showed me how to sharpen with a tool.
Doesn't look that hard, but if the tool is as much as a new chain, well, you
do the math.

Buy the tool once, sharpen the chain 20 times: $20
Buy 20 chains: $400
Being smarter than the log you're trying to cut: Priceless
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 23, 2:46*pm, "ng_reader" wrote:

Using my Poulan "Wild Thing" chainsaw this weekend, and a lot of burnt wood
where I made my cuts.

Don't recall the chain being so bad, but a new one --- on Amazon --- is $20.

My question is, is that the definitive answer of an unsharp chain? *Slow
cutting and burnt wood?

And, as a follow up, if I may, youtube showed me how to sharpen with a tool.
Doesn't look that hard, but if the tool is as much as a new chain, well, you
do the math.

thanks in advance.

Incorrect cutting methods?

And if you wanna take the time, you can sharpen the chain with a small
"rattail" file.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I presume you are using bar oil, and that the bar oil is properly feeding
onto the chain?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ng_reader" wrote in message
. ..
Using my Poulan "Wild Thing" chainsaw this weekend, and a lot of burnt wood
where I made my cuts.

Don't recall the chain being so bad, but a new one --- on Amazon --- is $20.

My question is, is that the definitive answer of an unsharp chain? Slow
cutting and burnt wood?

And, as a follow up, if I may, youtube showed me how to sharpen with a tool.
Doesn't look that hard, but if the tool is as much as a new chain, well, you
do the math.

thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Saws are designed with the bar off to the right. Ideally, a right handed saw
operator keeps his head far to the left. So that when the chain comes flying
back at you, the saw goes over your right shoulder.

I've seen saw operators (complete idiots) with their head exactly in line
with the bar. I told em why that was dangerous, and they didn't (complete
idiots) listen to me.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/uploa...1pix_01-01.jpg

Here is a good safety page.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kenneth" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:17:34 -0400, wrote:

That would be a better result than what I had happen once. I hit a
bolt embedded in a tree trunk and the whole chain went sailing past my
ear at a very high rate of speed. It was VERY close. ( It only dulled
one tooth of the chain)

whew... I gotta stop reading this thread...
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

definition of an 'unsharp' chain??? one that hasn't been sharpened since
the last use.

"Ron" wrote in message
On Sep 23, 2:46 pm, "ng_reader" wrote:

Using my Poulan "Wild Thing" chainsaw this weekend, and a lot of burnt
wood
where I made my cuts.

Don't recall the chain being so bad, but a new one --- on Amazon --- is
$20.

My question is, is that the definitive answer of an unsharp chain? Slow
cutting and burnt wood?

And, as a follow up, if I may, youtube showed me how to sharpen with a
tool.
Doesn't look that hard, but if the tool is as much as a new chain, well,
you
do the math.

thanks in advance.

Incorrect cutting methods?

And if you wanna take the time, you can sharpen the chain with a small
"rattail" file.

Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 17 November 9th 05 02:21 AM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 November 7th 05 12:39 AM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 0 November 6th 05 01:39 PM
sHARPENED srazor Woodworking 60 September 13th 04 03:20 PM
Sharpened blade --- Better than new Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking 6 May 15th 04 01:56 PM