Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mystery 29 volts

I am going to install a ceiling fan with a light kit in the master
bedroom. The junction box in the ceiling has a 2-conductor wire (plug
ground). I replaced this with a 14-3 wire because I want the ceiling
fan and the light on the fan to have their own seperate power. I wired
in the new switch and now one switch provides power to the black wire
and the new switch provides power to the red wire.

Now before I installed the fan, I decided to measure the voltage on
the wires. Flipping the switch to ON causes the appropriate wire to
measure 122 volts from ground (and neutral). However, If one switch is
OFF, and the other is ON the power wire connected to OFF switch
measures 29 volts. I expected this to measure closer to zero. If I do
put a load on this, it will go to zero. Is this fine/normal? What is
causing this, induction? By the way, the wires that I am measuring are
way longer than they need to be. I will cut them at the appropriate
length when I am satisfied everything is wired correctly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 9:38�am, wrote:
[...]

bet your using a digitaL METER? its capactive coupling, digital meters
are too sensitive. try a light bulb, see if it glows
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I am going to install a ceiling fan with a light kit in the master
bedroom. The junction box in the ceiling has a 2-conductor wire (plug
ground). I replaced this with a 14-3 wire because I want the ceiling
fan and the light on the fan to have their own seperate power. I wired
in the new switch and now one switch provides power to the black wire
and the new switch provides power to the red wire.

Now before I installed the fan, I decided to measure the voltage on
the wires. Flipping the switch to ON causes the appropriate wire to
measure 122 volts from ground (and neutral). However, If one switch is
OFF, and the other is ON the power wire connected to OFF switch
measures 29 volts.

I expected this to measure closer to zero.

Your expectations are in error.

If I do
put a load on this, it will go to zero. Is this fine/normal?

Yes.

What is
causing this, induction?

Alternating current. The application of current creates a magnetic field
around the conductor. The changes in this magnetic field induce a current in
surrounding conductors. This phenomena is called "induction." Wave a strong
magnet over your voltmeter test leads and see the same thing.

By the way, the wires that I am measuring are
way longer than they need to be. I will cut them at the appropriate
length when I am satisfied everything is wired correctly.

Leave as much spare length as you reasonably can. Future changes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bet your using a digitaL METER? its capactive coupling, digital meters
are too sensitive. try a light bulb, see if it glows- Hide quoted text -

Thanks hallerb,
Yes, in fact, I used this project as an excuse to by an new digital
meter. I probably still have an analog meter around somewhere. I
wonder if my older digital meter will give the same reading. Thanks, I
will try the bulb test.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bet your using a digitaL METER? its capactive coupling, digital meters
are too sensitive. try a light bulb, see if it glows

It's really a function of any meters input impedance being very high.
So high that induced voltage or capacvitively coupled voltage on the
wire can not drain off. Just put a little load between the two wires
and you'll get the true reading.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Use a cheap analog meter for this purpose because they have a built-in load.

Or use a resistor as load, something like 100K ohm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , HeyBub wrote
in part:

wrote:

EDITED FOR SPACE

What's causing this, induction?

Alternating current. The application of current creates a magnetic field
around the conductor. The changes in this magnetic field induce a current in
surrounding conductors. This phenomena is called "induction."

That's not the explanation here. No load is connected - so no current
except leakage is flowing. There is essentially no magnetic field.

The explanation is capacitive coupling.

- Don Klipstein )