Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen Cabinet Crown Molding

I am installing crown molding on my kitchen cabinets. The problem is
that there is one cabinet that is 6" higher then the rest but they are
all the same depth of 12". How to I finish the end of the molding
where it meets the taller cabinet. Since they are all the same depth,
I can't just run it into the taller cabinet. If I do a standard 45
deg miter end cap it leaves a space underneath that you can see
through. Any suggestions on how to make the transition from the
shorter cabinets to the taller cabinet would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 10:14*am, "SteveBell"
I am installing crown molding on my kitchen cabinets. *The problem is
that there is one cabinet that is 6" higher then the rest but they are
all the same depth of 12". *How to I finish the end of the molding
where it meets the taller cabinet. *Since they are all the same depth,
I can't just run it into the taller cabinet. *If I do a standard 45
deg miter end cap it leaves a space underneath that you can see
through. *Any suggestions on how to make the transition from the
shorter cabinets to the taller cabinet would be greatly appreciated.

Do a 90° end cap. A 45° turn is only for bullnosed corners.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

My mistake. I meant that I dry fitted a 90 deg end cap but it leaves
a triangular gap towards the bottom of the molding that you can see
through. I cannot overlap the molding onto the taller cabinet becuase
of the cabinet doors. The end of the molding for the lower cabinets
has to stop at the taller cabinet edge. Do you have any other
suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 22, 10:14*am, "SteveBell"
[...]

Maybe your miter saw isn't cutting a true 45°. True up your miter saw.

Another possibility is that the spring angle (the angle the molding
leans away from the cabinet) is not a true 38°. (45° is another spring
angle, but it's less common.)

After you verify that your saw is true, cut the return (end cap) and
fasten it to the long run of molding before mounting everything to the
cabinet. If you already put up the long run, either take it down and
start over, or pry out the end to put on the return. The return needs
to be glued in place as well as nailed.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

How about doing a 45 deg return instead of a 90? Experiment with that
and see how it looks. Practice with 2 scrap pieces. You have to cut
each end at 22.5 deg. It might be enough that you don't see the gap at
the bottom.

crown molding on full overlay kitchen wall cabinets Mikepier Home Repair 3 July 24th 07 12:44 AM
Crown molding Kenny Goss Home Repair 2 December 1st 06 05:23 PM
Crown Molding ladybug Home Repair 1 September 29th 06 06:55 AM
Crown Molding [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 27th 06 09:58 PM
crown molding??? EvoDawg Home Repair 3 June 5th 05 08:24 AM