Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default need good way to store files

I have several files, about 15 of various types from small specialty
files to large ones about 14 inches.

Really don't like to put files where they rub against each other in
a random stack and where it is hard to find the file I need.

Has anyone found a good way to store files?

Appreciate any tips. Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 10:42*am, "Bob" wrote:
I have several files, about 15 of various types from small specialty
files to large ones about 14 inches.

Really don't like to put files where they rub against each other in
a random stack and where it is hard to find the file I need.

Has anyone found a good way to store files?

Appreciate any tips. * Thanks, Bob-tx

Find old 2x4 drill 15 holes in it sized to fit the tangs and then
just stick them in the holes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am not there to see your work area. But someone suggested a two by four
with holes, slip the tangs into the holes. How about think that a bit
larger. Take two or three two by four, and put them together, making a 6 x
4. Use your drill press to drill through two layers. Use speed bores of
whatever size works. Put the files in, business end down (handles up).

Got to be some way to store those. Of course, you could wrap them
individually in grease rags (mechanic shop rag) but that takes time.

What would be nice, is a big long magnet, you could put the magnet up high,
and stick all the files to the magnet. Just pull one down as you need to
use it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
I have several files, about 15 of various types from small specialty
files to large ones about 14 inches.

Really don't like to put files where they rub against each other in
a random stack and where it is hard to find the file I need.

Has anyone found a good way to store files?

Appreciate any tips. Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2008 7:42 AM Bob spake thus:

I have several files, about 15 of various types from small specialty
files to large ones about 14 inches.

Really don't like to put files where they rub against each other in
a random stack and where it is hard to find the file I need.

Has anyone found a good way to store files?

One clever solution I've seen is to get a couple of large-ish springs,
stretch them out a little, and put the springs crossways in the drawer
or box where you store the files. The files fit into the loops of the
springs, which keep them from hitting each other.

- Paulo Freire

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 08:42:54 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

I have several files, about 15 of various types from small specialty
files to large ones about 14 inches.

Really don't like to put files where they rub against each other in
a random stack and where it is hard to find the file I need.

Has anyone found a good way to store files?

Appreciate any tips. Thanks, Bob-tx

Something like this wrench holder. Wrench organizers lay flat if you
have the space. Can be made of wood and/or mounted on a wall.

(pic) http://www.ernstmfg.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_16

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:43:59 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I am not there to see your work area. But someone suggested a two by four
with holes, slip the tangs into the holes. How about think that a bit
larger. Take two or three two by four, and put them together, making a 6 x
4. Use your drill press to drill through two layers. Use speed bores of
whatever size works. Put the files in, business end down (handles up).

Got to be some way to store those. Of course, you could wrap them
individually in grease rags (mechanic shop rag) but that takes time.

What would be nice, is a big long magnet, you could put the magnet up high,
and stick all the files to the magnet. Just pull one down as you need to
use it.

Magnetize a file, sharpen the mower blade, so how do I get metal
shavings off the file besides more work?

I don't believe magnets are the _best_ choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:51:05 -0700, Oren wrote Re
need good way to store files:

wrote:

I have several files, about 15 of various types from small specialty
files to large ones about 14 inches.

Really don't like to put files where they rub against each other in
a random stack and where it is hard to find the file I need.

Has anyone found a good way to store files?

Appreciate any tips. Thanks, Bob-tx

All my files have a pointy handle on the end. I took two 1' pieces of
2x8 left over from a project, sandwiched them together and drilled
1/4" holes in it. I put the pointy end of the files into the holes so
they stand vertically.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 10:42*am, "Bob" wrote:
I have several files, about 15 of various types from small specialty
files to large ones about 14 inches.

Really don't like to put files where they rub against each other in
a random stack and where it is hard to find the file I need.

Has anyone found a good way to store files?

Appreciate any tips. * Thanks, Bob-tx

A couple of coil springs in the tool drawer keep en seperated just
fine, soe does foam rubber egg crating.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

beecrofter wrote:
A couple of coil springs in the tool drawer keep en seperated just
fine, soe does foam rubber egg crating.

Not so picky meself so kept the 60+ yr-old traditional storage place--in
an upside-down piston from the old Twin City 20-35.