Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default Soap & water cleanup with oil based paint.

This is a new one for me. I've prepped my deck & I'm using Wolman
Finish & Preservative to reseal it. The can says it's oil based. The
warning says it contains mineral spirits. The cleanup instructions
says wet brushes may be cleaned with soap & water or mineral spirits.
Tacky or dry spills must be cleaned with mineral spirits. The product
is clear & not milky. I dipped a just used brush in plain water &
everything gummed up. I added a squirt of liquid soap to the pail,
swished it a few times, the gummed up particles disolved and the brush
was almost clean! Easiest cleanup I've ever seen.
All my life I've been told water & oil are incompatable. Is this
something new? If so, I darn sure like it.

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Sep 11, 9:25*am, Norminn wrote:
Red wrote:
This is a new one for me. I've prepped my deck & I'm using Wolman
Finish & Preservative to reseal it. *The can says it's oil based. *The
warning says it contains mineral spirits. *The cleanup instructions
says wet brushes may be cleaned with soap & water or mineral spirits.
Tacky or dry spills must be cleaned with mineral spirits. The product
is clear & not milky. I dipped a just used brush in plain water &
everything gummed up. I added a squirt of liquid soap to the pail,
swished it a few times, the gummed up particles disolved and the brush
was almost clean! *Easiest cleanup I've ever seen.
All my life I've been told water & oil are incompatable. *Is this
something new? *If so, I darn sure like it.

The cleanup probably should have read to use mineral spirits first, then
"soap and water". *My
usual procedure is just that ... full strength Dawn really cuts into
grease, so if enough is used
it should eventually take out all the oil-based gook. *Just much easier
to use solvent first. *Perhaps
the switch is because of less VOC or whatever they are in "oil based" paint.