Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hot air stripper on water based paint

I was stripping a door frame over the weekend and found a section of the
undercoat wouldn't come off. I realised that that was over a piece that
I had patched in recently and which had been painted with a water based
primer and undercoat.

This led me to wonder whether because water based paint contains no oil
if it is not susceptible to blistering when heated and so cannot be
stripped in this way.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
I was stripping a door frame over the weekend and found a section of the
undercoat wouldn't come off. I realised that that was over a piece that
I had patched in recently and which had been painted with a water based
primer and undercoat.

This led me to wonder whether because water based paint contains no oil
if it is not susceptible to blistering when heated and so cannot be
stripped in this way.

Andrew

But Nitromors will. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:04:44 +0000, Andrew May
wrote:

I was stripping a door frame over the weekend and found a section of the
undercoat wouldn't come off. I realised that that was over a piece that
I had patched in recently and which had been painted with a water based
primer and undercoat.

This led me to wonder whether because water based paint contains no oil
if it is not susceptible to blistering when heated and so cannot be
stripped in this way.

Andrew

Correct. Tis one of the penalties for using water based stuff. The
modern oil based is not much better though. (

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was stripping a door frame over the weekend and found a section of the
undercoat wouldn't come off. I realised that that was over a piece that
I had patched in recently and which had been painted with a water based
primer and undercoat.

This led me to wonder whether because water based paint contains no oil
if it is not susceptible to blistering when heated and so cannot be
stripped in this way.

Andrew

Correct. Tis one of the penalties for using water based stuff. The
modern oil based is not much better though. (

Although if that is the only penalty then it is a small price to pay. I
rather like the water based undercoats. Seem to cover well, quick to dry
so can be rubbed down and recoated after a couple of hours and wash the
brushes in water. I use the Dulux Trade variety. Are there any decent
water based satinwood type topcoats available yet? I would like to give
one a try to see if it stays whiter any longer than the oil based stuff.

Andrew