Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water damage during Hurricane

-------------------------------------

During Hurricane Gustav we started experiencing puddles of water forming
under the carpet. This has happened before during a hurricane about 10
years ago.The water seemed to be coming out of nowhere. It wasnt starting
directly up against the wall.. My mom said it was from the chimney and
that we should have covered it. The puddles were forming on both sides of
the chimney (the first one starting about 2 ft away from chimney) but not
directly in front of it and the inside of the fireplace was dry. We pulled
all the carpet out and noticed that the bottom of the basebaords as well
as the wood on the tack strips were all rotted and water damaged. My
question is..Is it possible that this is from the chimney or is it more
likely coming from the ground through the walls? It seems to me that if it
were coming in through the walls it would have started at the wall and the
same with the chimney.Please help!! I want to put in wood flooring but i
need to fix this problem first!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

jessilynn0081 wrote:

-------------------------------------

During Hurricane Gustav we started experiencing puddles of water forming
under the carpet.

Is the house on a slab? My guess is that the water is seeping under the
slab and from there out on the carpet.

The gutters probably release the rain water too close to the perimeter
of the house, or the grading is wrong. There is a possibility that the
problem could start in a neighboring yard, if yours is lower.

Whatever the reason, my guess is that the water accumulates instead of
flowing away from the house.

As you have found water damage under the carpet, this probably happens
at every major downpour.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 5:27*pm,
(jessilynn0081) wrote:
-------------------------------------

[...]

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

A chimney should have a cap, and have the roof flashing checked, look
in the atic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 6:27*pm,
(jessilynn0081) wrote:
-------------------------------------

[...]

It will depend on local conditions. Those winds can drive rain
right through a block wall and you can have the water table come up
above the floor level easily. Concrete is not, by nature 100%
waterproof. It is the nature of the material.

I suggest having a local professional take a look and make
suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jessilynn0081 wrote:

-------------------------------------

[...]

You don't give enough information (good try) for anyone here to really
help pin it down. Photos would help,
as well as information about the type of construction, slope of the
ground around the house, Water can enter
through a defect in roof, fascia or flashing and travel a good distance
away before running down - can run down
wires, rafters, etc. Can you check the attic during a heavy rain? I
would expect ceiling damage, but not always,
in the case of roof or fascia leaks.

Is the house on a concrete slab? What type of siding? I'm in Florida,
and have read about water being forced
through concrete block/stucco walls during hurricanes, with older homes
better protected because they have more
coats of paint.

If the floor is close to grade, there could have been water running off
the ground or from downspouts that intruded
and collected in lowest spots.

Tough, sometimes, to find source. What is directly above the places you
found water? You mention "both sides
of the chimney" - since you have pulled up the carpet, you could try a
test. Pour water on both sides of the fireplace
and see if it collects in the damaged areas .... seems if that is true,
then your problem is likely flashing.