Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Water damage during Hurricane

On Sep 5, 5:27*pm,
(jessilynn0081) wrote:
-------------------------------------

*During Hurricane Gustav we started experiencing puddles of water forming
under the carpet. This has happened before during a hurricane about 10
years ago.The water seemed to be coming out of nowhere. It wasnt starting
directly up against the wall.. My mom said it was from the chimney and
that we should have covered it. The puddles were forming on both sides of
the chimney (the first one starting about 2 ft away from chimney) but not
directly in front of it and the inside of the fireplace was dry. We pulled
all the carpet out and noticed that the bottom of the basebaords as well
as the wood on the tack strips were all rotted and water damaged. My
question is..Is it possible that this is from the chimney or is it more
likely coming from the ground through the walls? It seems to me that if it
were coming in through the walls it would have started at the wall and the
same with the chimney.Please help!! I want to put in wood flooring but i
need to fix this problem first!!!

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

A chimney should have a cap, and have the roof flashing checked, look
in the atic.