Posted to alt.talk.weather,uk.d-i-y

Default Hurricane Damage to your Roof

MoseMan quoted:

The Field Adjuster Guy
http://www.geocities.com/emos1234/great_outdoors.html

A badly written page. What is a square?

Few homes come directly under the eye of a storm. What happens is that
an hurricane is still a wide storm after broaching and even a few miles
inland is quite a breeze.

Tiles on the lea side of a roof (opposite the side facing the wind) are
lifted anf flap in the "wing aerofoil effect". Such damage is
particularly likely at the top of the roof just under the ridge. With
the aerofoil effect, loose tiles liftcrack and leave, then with an hole
in the roof the real damage starts.

If your roof is not nailed down securely, then you are at risk. Such
building practices are endemic even in a heavily regulated region such
as the UK where council planning controls and building inspections are
(so I have been lead to believe) draconian compared to US local
planning laws.

I have seen plenty of new homes going up with the wrong nails and never
enough of the right ones, if they are used in the trusses. And then it
is standard practice to nail down only every 4th course of tiles where
clay tiles are used.

Clay tiles have a couple of nibs on the top underside, allowing them to
grip the baton on which they are laid, (slates have to be nailed at
each tile as they have no such tongues.)

If the roofer is not watched carefully, all his short cuts will be
quickly covered by the felt of vapour barrier laid under the tiles. The
neglect can not be spotted from inside the roof when that happens. It
might be possible to see that the trusses have not been correctly
nailed though.

Pre-formed trusses come with a pair of shoes or brackets with a bag of
special nails that suit the shoes. They have a spiral twisted in them
and are very fiddly to use as they are larger than the holes drilled
for them in the shoes.

I have no idea what the building regulations are in Florida but that's
the latest as far as I know anything about them in the UK. There is
more in English on this page:
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/roof_trusses.htm no doubt your
location will turn up something similar.

There doesn't seem to be all that much that the average householder,
tenant or landlord can do to inspect their property does there?

I looked up Google Images for a picture of a shoe but they were ALL
oriented to show them in the wrong position. Although I have to admit
as a technical drawing it is the angel that shows the product off to
the best detail.

Posted to alt.talk.weather,uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

is this really a significant problem in the uk?

NT