Old September 5th 08, 01:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lube a ceiling fan?

Bought a house with ceiling fans. All work, but some are a little
noisy. Are there places to lube them? Some meay date to 1991.

Lou

Old September 5th 08, 02:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Bought a house with ceiling fans. All work, but some are a little noisy.
Are there places to lube them? Some meay date to 1991.

Lou

Never saw a place to lube them. If they are cheap fans they started out
that way. There was a period that fans were being imported and they were
rather poor quality.

Old September 5th 08, 04:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Bought a house with ceiling fans. All work, but some are a little
noisy. Are there places to lube them? Some meay date to 1991.

Never saw a place to lube them. If they are cheap fans they started
out that way. There was a period that fans were being imported and
they were rather poor quality.

I'll second that. Ceiling fans are not generally user-maintainable.
They're mostly disposable. I've never seen one with an oil cup.

Mandatory rambling story:
My father-in-law decided to oil his fan because it made noise. He
apparently put two quarts in a one-quart fan, because he then had a fan
that made noise and dripped oil. It dripped for a looong time. Ten
years later, he still had to wipe the occasional drop off the light
fixture. Moral: Don't oil your fan.

If the fan makes ticking or creaking noises when it turns, it's time
for a replacement. They're cheap. Get a new one. You can even get the
one with leopard-skin trim and dangly crystals. (Don't laugh--I just
removed three of these for a client so they could take them to their
new home.)

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Old September 5th 08, 04:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to both of you.

Lou

Old September 5th 08, 04:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Bought a house with ceiling fans. All work, but some are a little
noisy. Are there places to lube them? Some meay date to 1991.

Never saw a place to lube them. If they are cheap fans they started
out that way. There was a period that fans were being imported and
they were rather poor quality.

I'll second that. Ceiling fans are not generally user-maintainable.
They're mostly disposable. I've never seen one with an oil cup.

All the Hunter "Original" (and other brands) had/have an oil cup.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old September 5th 08, 05:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Sep 5, 9:51*am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"LouB" wrote in message

Bought a house with ceiling fans. *All work, but some are a little noisy.
Are there places to lube them? *Some meay date to 1991.

Lou

Never saw a place to lube them. *If they are cheap fans they started out
that way. *There was a period that fans were being imported and they were
rather poor quality.

You mean like "sometime in the last 20 years until the present?" Even
Hunter fans are made in China, at least the ones sold in the Big Boxes
are. I agree with your point though if they are noisy just replace
them with new ones of a recognized name brand, that means Hunter,
Casablanca, etc. that doesn't mean that they won't be made in China
but at least you know they'll be around if you have problems and you
won't get the "well, you bought a $30 fan, what do you expect?" line
when you go to return it.

nate
Old September 5th 08, 10:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:

SteveBell wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Bought a house with ceiling fans. All work, but some are a
little noisy. Are there places to lube them? Some meay date
to 1991.

Never saw a place to lube them. If they are cheap fans they
started out that way. There was a period that fans were being
imported and they were rather poor quality.

I'll second that. Ceiling fans are not generally user-maintainable.
They're mostly disposable. I've never seen one with an oil cup.

All the Hunter "Original" (and other brands) had/have an oil cup.

Very interesting. Where on the fan was the oil cup? Maybe I just
haven't recognized them.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Old September 5th 08, 11:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
[...]

You can *tell* me not to laugh, but it's not entirely a voluntary action.

nate
Old September 6th 08, 01:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
SteveBell wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
[...]

Hunter Originals require a light non-detergent oil and have a reservoir that
should be checked each season.

Window lube? Nate Nagel Home Repair 9 July 17th 07 11:49 PM
Lube etc old ceiling fan? Puddin' Man Home Repair 7 June 20th 07 09:48 PM
Ceiling Fans - Clean / Lube Motors? Home Repair 0 October 18th 06 02:43 AM
Ceiling Fans - Clean / Lube Motors? Joe Home Repair 0 October 18th 06 01:51 AM
Do You Lube It Before U Screw ?? stoutman Woodworking 30 February 19th 06 02:06 PM