Posted to alt.home.repair
LouB LouB is offline

Default Lube a ceiling fan?

SteveBell wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Bought a house with ceiling fans. All work, but some are a little
noisy. Are there places to lube them? Some meay date to 1991.

Never saw a place to lube them. If they are cheap fans they started
out that way. There was a period that fans were being imported and
they were rather poor quality.

I'll second that. Ceiling fans are not generally user-maintainable.
They're mostly disposable. I've never seen one with an oil cup.

Mandatory rambling story:
My father-in-law decided to oil his fan because it made noise. He
apparently put two quarts in a one-quart fan, because he then had a fan
that made noise and dripped oil. It dripped for a looong time. Ten
years later, he still had to wipe the occasional drop off the light
fixture. Moral: Don't oil your fan.

If the fan makes ticking or creaking noises when it turns, it's time
for a replacement. They're cheap. Get a new one. You can even get the
one with leopard-skin trim and dangly crystals. (Don't laugh--I just
removed three of these for a client so they could take them to their
new home.)

Thanks to both of you.

Lou