Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DTV Conversion tv commericials on TV?

Am I the only one who is annoyed at those DTV conversion public
service tv ads? They run often, about 7 times and hour no matter what
is on the schedule. One time it covered up the wheel of fortune
category and another time covered up the screen so much you couldn't
read Jeopardy questions.

Are the local stations be paid like a lot of money to run these ads?

It's on all the local channels so that is 5 channels running these ads
7 times an hour?

Are people ****ing retarded and need to be reminded this often?

It is as though we're being prepared for nuclear war or some plaugue
with no cure. What the hell?

In one hour I counted more than 12 minutes of DTV conversion ads and
this was during programs, they do not dare run them during commercials
though for money losses.

Dammit if things are like this then what would they do for something
important?

I even saw a news story were retarded people have bought DTV converter
and installed it only later finding out it's not needed if you have
cable tv service. Do people just blindly buy **** mentioned on the
news now?

I generally only buy things I want or need and not just because I saw
the local anchorman tell me to buy something.

If I bought everything advertised on tv I'd have to spend close to
$500K per year and discover I only liked or needed maybe 1% of the
stuff.

This DTV over-doing-it-tv-commercial crap is causing me some great
deal of anger. I was just curious if this is also getting on anyone
else's nerves too?

I'm now tempted, like Elvis, to shoot my tv but I have to hold back
and use self control.

DTV is coming, now you know and if you fail to get one it's your own
fault, now that's all the warning you need retarded people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
snip
Are people ****ing retarded and need to be reminded this often?

I even saw a news story were retarded people have bought DTV converter
and installed it only later finding out it's not needed if you have
cable tv service. Do people just blindly buy **** mentioned on the
news now?

Americans - they whine when they aren't given any details of something, and
they whine when they get lots of details.

*sigh*

Posted to alt.home.repair

Calab wrote in message 3b_uk.243365$gc5.10267@pd7urf2no...

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
.. .
snip
Are people ****ing retarded and need to be reminded this often?

I even saw a news story were retarded people have bought DTV

converter
and installed it only later finding out it's not needed if you have
cable tv service. Do people just blindly buy **** mentioned on the
news now?

Americans - they whine when they aren't given any details of

something, and
they whine when they get lots of details.

And in this case, we have someone watching Wheel of Fortune, calling
others retarded. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/01/08 06:16 pm Robert Blass wrote:

[...]

And I ahall not be surprised if, on Feb 18 next year, TV stations around
the country get phone calls complaining that their signal has gone off
the air.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 18:16:13 -0400, Robert Blass wrote:

[...]

WOW! Bob, you need to work on some of those anger issues before your wife
gets home and beats the bejesus out of you!

Chill out! Split a joint with the neighbor. Do something cool man. Stay
away from the hooch. That liquid lightning messes up your mind.

Only buy one box and sell it on Ebay for big bucks. Yeah! that's the
ticket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 16:14:36 -0700, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom
sayd the following:

Calab wrote in message 3b_uk.243365$gc5.10267@pd7urf2no...

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
. ..
snip
Are people ****ing retarded and need to be reminded this often?

I even saw a news story were retarded people have bought DTV

converter
and installed it only later finding out it's not needed if you have
cable tv service. Do people just blindly buy **** mentioned on the
news now?

Americans - they whine when they aren't given any details of

something, and
they whine when they get lots of details.

And in this case, we have someone watching Wheel of Fortune, calling
others retarded. :-)

Cheri

How does watching game shows in any way make me as retarded as people
who need to be told HOURLY to get a DTV converter which won't happen
for several months and won't be needed by cable tv customers?

I guess if I was watching 'something else' then that would be less
retarded.

Maybe one day you'll get a taste of the commercials covering up some
tv show you are watching.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Blass wrote in message
How does watching game shows in any way make me as retarded as people
who need to be told HOURLY to get a DTV converter which won't happen
for several months and won't be needed by cable tv customers?

Are you one of the retarded people that needs to be told every hour?
Have you ever met a person that needed to be told hourly about the DTV
converter? In this case you're blaming the viewers, which includes
yourself, for the nonsense of the people hawking the message every
hour.

I guess if I was watching 'something else' then that would be less
retarded.

Probably not.

Maybe one day you'll get a taste of the commercials covering up some
tv show you are watching.

I seriously doubt that...since my TV go black and I will have no
reception after February. LOL

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Blass wrote:
Am I the only one who is annoyed at those DTV conversion public
service tv ads? They run often, about 7 times and hour no matter what
is on the schedule...

The stations are required to run the announcements on top of spending
millions of dollars to upgrade their transmitting equipment. See
http://www.kcra.com/download/2008/0710/16846064.pdf for a report one
station submitted to the FCC.

I haven't formally observed it, but there exists a possibility that
stations aren't running the crawls on their digital broadcasts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Blass wrote in
:

[...]

Well, Jerry Springer wouldn't be a good choice then.

Maybe one day you'll get a taste of the commercials covering up some
tv show you are watching.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It annoys me too. What also annoys me are the overlays they run during
the shows. It gets pretty bad. You get so many overlays on the screen
that it actually interrupts the show.

The real solution is to cut your tv cable and get a netflix account and

Isnt it ironic that over all these years of TV broadcasting that we are
now going back to an antenna? I figure that If I cut off my comcast I can
save an average of 1800 bucks a year. That would be cable tv/stb's/
internet.

coffee

p.s. I dont think watching game shows is a sign of being stupid. In fact,
It keeps the brain sharp as you "Play along".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Blass" wrote in message

How does watching game shows in any way make me as retarded as people
who need to be told HOURLY to get a DTV converter which won't happen
for several months and won't be needed by cable tv customers?

Have you actually listened to the commercials? They don't say that you will
need a DTV box to get TV. They say that you will need to get a DTV box for
Off Of Air TV. They also tell you were to find more information.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Blass wrote:
Am I the only one who is annoyed at those DTV conversion public
service tv ads? They run often, about 7 times and hour no matter what
is on the schedule. One time it covered up the wheel of fortune
category and another time covered up the screen so much you couldn't
read Jeopardy questions.

Are the local stations be paid like a lot of money to run these ads?

It's on all the local channels so that is 5 channels running these ads
7 times an hour?

Are people ****ing retarded and need to be reminded this often?

Some... I bet the local TV stations will be bombarded by calls from
"uninformed" viewers wondering why their best friend, the magic picture
went away.

It is as though we're being prepared for nuclear war or some plaugue
with no cure. What the hell?

In one hour I counted more than 12 minutes of DTV conversion ads and
this was during programs, they do not dare run them during commercials
though for money losses.

Dammit if things are like this then what would they do for something
important?

put it on CSPAN

I even saw a news story were retarded people have bought DTV converter
and installed it only later finding out it's not needed if you have
cable tv service. Do people just blindly buy **** mentioned on the
news now?

Umm... Yes. How else do you think Billy Mays and his ilk become filthy
stinkin' rich?

I generally only buy things I want or need and not just because I saw
the local anchorman tell me to buy something.

If I bought everything advertised on tv I'd have to spend close to
$500K per year and discover I only liked or needed maybe 1% of the
stuff.

This DTV over-doing-it-tv-commercial crap is causing me some great
deal of anger. I was just curious if this is also getting on anyone
else's nerves too?

Not mine. The idiot box doesn't anger me. Sometimes it amuses me, and
even informs me, but I don't get angry at it.
So, relax. Don't tard out about it.

I'm now tempted, like Elvis, to shoot my tv but I have to hold back
and use self control.

That's good. Besides, you're no Elvis.

DTV is coming, now you know and if you fail to get one it's your own
fault, now that's all the warning you need retarded people.

Thanks for the warning. First I've heard of it. Good thing you're out
here telling us it's coming - I don't know where else we would have
gotten that information.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 22:39:59 GMT, "Calab" wrote:

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
.. .
snip
Are people ****ing retarded and need to be reminded this often?

I even saw a news story were retarded people have bought DTV converter
and installed it only later finding out it's not needed if you have
cable tv service. Do people just blindly buy **** mentioned on the
news now?

Americans - they whine when they aren't given any details of something, and
they whine when they get lots of details.

*sigh*

Not "lots of details". A few (somewhat incorrect) details over and
over and ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 19:59:16 -0400, Robert Blass
wrote:

[...]

The sort of mind-numbing repetition people get used to every Sunday.

I guess if I was watching 'something else' then that would be less
retarded.

Maybe one day you'll get a taste of the commercials covering up some
tv show you are watching.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 05:49:16 -0500, coffee
wrote:

[snip]

It annoys me too. What also annoys me are the overlays they run during
the shows. It gets pretty bad. You get so many overlays on the screen
that it actually interrupts the show.

I can remember watching a good show, when the bottom third of the
screen was covered up by some irrelevant and distracting animation and
the audio was hidden by a CREEEEK! BANG!! POP! PFFFFT!! CLANG! noise
that had nothing to do with the current show.

The real solution is to cut your tv cable and get a netflix account and

Isnt it ironic that over all these years of TV broadcasting that we are
now going back to an antenna? I figure that If I cut off my comcast I can
save an average of 1800 bucks a year. That would be cable tv/stb's/
internet.

coffee

p.s. I dont think watching game shows is a sign of being stupid. In fact,
It keeps the brain sharp as you "Play along".

If it's "Wheel of Fortune" it's better with the sound off.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Calab wrote:
"Robert Blass" wrote in message
snip
Are people ****ing retarded and need to be reminded this often?

I even saw a news story were retarded people have bought DTV converter
and installed it only later finding out it's not needed if you have
cable tv service. Do people just blindly buy **** mentioned on the
news now?

Americans - they whine when they aren't given any details of something, and
they whine when they get lots of details.

*sigh*

And others - they just whine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 14:04:48 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 05:49:16 -0500, coffee
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Yah, Vanna isnt what she used to be either. grin.

coffee
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 05:30:54 -0500, coffee
sayd the following:

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 14:04:48 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 05:49:16 -0500, coffee
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Of course I was using wheel of fortune or jeopardy just as an example
of something that would be covered up when the long DTV conversion
reminder would stay on the screen for 90 seconds more than 5 times in
a 30 minute tv show.

Mine takes about the bottom, or top, 10% of the screen. It's on all 3
local channels even for cable users, no one is allowed to opt-out of
these reminders.

Of course people say I am complaining while I remember people
complaining all the time about weather alerts messing up some football
game...Don't people know it's pretty common to die from natural causes
because you didn't pay attention?

70-100 people die every year from lightening strikes because they
acted retarded and planned some outdoor activity without first
checking the weather. I guess some people think thunderstorms are LESS
dangerous than something else they do?

oh well... just a few more months of this PSA hell.
I also have 'election results' to look forward to....you know
reminding you of who won over and over and over.

www.drudgereport.com will show the winner and % breakdowns, no need
for stupid local channels for election results, OR NEWS for that
matter.

Our local newspapers print stories I read 2-3 days ago, it's no longer
news to me.

Ok, I PROMISE I won't bring this PSA topic up again.

I can see that it was very off topic and for that I apologize to
everyone here.

Conversion to gas? ? ? Ray Home Repair 43 May 12th 08 05:47 AM
$45us/pc H.I.D Conversion Kit [email protected] UK diy 0 February 14th 08 12:33 AM
loft conversion Thomarse UK diy 2 April 30th 07 02:13 PM
PAL - NTSC Conversion Peter Weaver Electronics Repair 3 March 6th 05 10:08 PM