Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing porch light, but no ground wire from house

When I removed the old porch light, I found there was no ground wire
from the house and the ground from the light fixture was just loose.
There are just a white wire and a red wire coming from the house. The
new fixture has a black wire, a white wire and a ground.

How do I proceed?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 10:20*am, wrote:
When I removed the old porch light, I found there was no ground wire
from the house and the ground from the light fixture was just loose.
There are just a white wire and a red wire coming from the house. *The
new fixture has a black wire, a white wire and a ground.

How do I proceed?

Thanks.

If it's an older house and the light and wiring were put into place
before grounding was required by code, you can just replace it
without ground by hooking up the white wire to white and red to
black. If ground was required by code at the time and it was put in
incorrectly, then it should be corrected by running a wire with ground
to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 10:35*am, wrote:

If it's an older house and the light and wiring were put into place
before grounding was required by code, *you can just replace it
without ground by hooking up the white wire to white and red to
black. * If ground was required by code at the time and it was put in
incorrectly, then it should be corrected by running a wire with ground
to it.

Yes, it's a concrete block house almost 50 years old..

Thanks to both posters for the info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 10:20*am, wrote:
When I removed the old porch light, I found there was no ground wire
from the house and the ground from the light fixture was just loose.
There are just a white wire and a red wire coming from the house. *The
new fixture has a black wire, a white wire and a ground.

How do I proceed?

Thanks.

It is quite possible that the ground was, and hopefully is,
provided by a conduit to the box. I would check that and assuming the
box is grounded make sure the fixture is also properly grounded to the
box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
When I removed the old porch light, I found there was no ground wire
from the house and the ground from the light fixture was just loose.
There are just a white wire and a red wire coming from the house. The
new fixture has a black wire, a white wire and a ground.

How do I proceed?

Thanks.

If you have a white and red conductor from the house, it's not in a cable,
therefore it must be in a conduit of some sort. If it's fifty years old,
most likely that conduit will be metallic, and provides the grounding for
the circuit. Connect the black to red, white to white and ground to the box
or fixture bar which is screwed to the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
When I removed the old porch light, I found there was no ground wire
from the house and the ground from the light fixture was just loose.
There are just a white wire and a red wire coming from the house. The
new fixture has a black wire, a white wire and a ground.

How do I proceed?

If the electrical box is metal and the wiring comes into the box with
armored cable (BX) or metal conduit, the grounding is provided by the metal
jacket or the pipe. If this is the case you would ground the wire from the
fixture to the metal box using a separate screw or a grounding clip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might want to consider installing a fixture that doesn't have any
exposed metal parts. It will be marginally safer.

Obvioiusly, the best approach is to replace the cable with a grounding
cable. Alternatively, you can install a GFCI on the circuit. This will
provide protection against electrocution that's superior to that provided by
a "proper" ground connection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a motion sensor porch light that was installed prior to moving in the house. I took the porch light off and wires inside are all fried. I not sure what wires connected to what. There are 2 different cables that come into box. One cable has only 2 wires white and black that's connected to breaker box and the other cable has 3 wires red, black and white that's connected to inside double light switch how would I wire this porch light to light switch

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...se-328236-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 1 Oct 2020 16:45:02 +0000, cmanny72
wrote:

I have a motion sensor porch light that was installed prior to moving in the house. I took the porch light off and wires inside are all fried. I not sure what wires connected to what. There are 2 different cables that come into box. One cable has only 2 wires white and black that's connected to breaker box and the other cable has 3 wires red, black and white that's connected to inside double light switch how would I wire this porch light to light switch

It is hard to answer without more detail.

Did it work when you moved in?

Did anything in particular happen just before it broke?

By a "double light switch" do you mean two switches, at opposite ends of
the hall, for example?

What is the black wire connected to now?
the white?

In the other cable
What is the black ire connected to now
the white?
the red?

I presume there are two wires coming from the lamp.
What color is one and what's it connected to?
What color is the other and what's it connected to?

It might be easiest to make a drawing, a schematic, photograph it and
post the photo on an image sharing site. IIRC flickr is one.