Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing porch light, but no ground wire from house

wrote in message
When I removed the old porch light, I found there was no ground wire
from the house and the ground from the light fixture was just loose.
There are just a white wire and a red wire coming from the house. The
new fixture has a black wire, a white wire and a ground.

How do I proceed?

If the electrical box is metal and the wiring comes into the box with
armored cable (BX) or metal conduit, the grounding is provided by the metal
jacket or the pipe. If this is the case you would ground the wire from the
fixture to the metal box using a separate screw or a grounding clip.