Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cold vs hot asphalt on small repairs

New home owner....

Where my driveway meets the concrete floor of the garage, there is about a 2
1/2" height difference and a small gap of about 1 1/2" between the edge of
the asphalt and the concrete of the garage floor.

I could go buy a couple 20/kg bags of cold asphalt and follow one of the
many guides online and do the work myself for cheap, probably $20-$30 for
the asphalt and something to pack it down with.

The other option, I was given a quote by a local asphalt/driveway company,
$275 to fix it. That seems pretty steep, so I wonder how much better would
it really be? They would use hot asphalt, which I understand is better, but
is it *that* much better for just repairing a lip?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peter" wrote in message
New home owner....

Where my driveway meets the concrete floor of the garage, there is about a
2 1/2" height difference and a small gap of about 1 1/2" between the edge
of the asphalt and the concrete of the garage floor.

I could go buy a couple 20/kg bags of cold asphalt and follow one of the
many guides online and do the work myself for cheap, probably $20-$30 for
the asphalt and something to pack it down with.

The other option, I was given a quote by a local asphalt/driveway company,
$275 to fix it. That seems pretty steep, so I wonder how much better
would it really be? They would use hot asphalt, which I understand is
better, but is it *that* much better for just repairing a lip?

The cold patch will get you by for a few years. The hot patch will get you
by for 20 years.

It is not so much the cost of material, it is the cost of hauling the stuff
to you location, the labor to put the patch in place, probably using a
propane flame thrower, then packing it in place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 11:16*am, "Peter" wrote:

I agree with subsequent post that cold patch will deteriorate sooner
than hot.

A cheaper way for a reasonable fix may be like I just did (if you live
in a small municipality): ask the roving local highway dept repair
crew for 1-2 (metal) pails full of hot asphalt, reheat asphalt at home
in a deep metal pan on the bbq grill, place and compact. Just make
sure to keep the asphalt from falling into the bbq.