Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? Need to precisely cut a PCB

well not quite a pcb but this blank board from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Would appreciate any help in brainstorming a solution. I could cut it but I
need a small square of about 30MM +- .05MM. Maybe a laser cutting service?
That's about the only thing I can think of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:37:20 -0500, "Kevin_91B" wrote:

well not quite a pcb but this blank board from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Would appreciate any help in brainstorming a solution. I could cut it but I
need a small square of about 30MM +- .05MM. Maybe a laser cutting service?
That's about the only thing I can think of.

a drill bit in a dremel to cut it slightly oversize, and then pass it
back and forth on a flat surface covered with fine grit, wet or dry
sandpaper that is kept wet to get to the final finished size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kevin_91B wrote:
well not quite a pcb but this blank board from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Would appreciate any help in brainstorming a solution. I could cut
it but I
need a small square of about 30MM +- .05MM. Maybe a laser cutting
service?
That's about the only thing I can think of.

What tools do you have and what have you tried that didn't work?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kevin,

A millimg machine would easily do this. Given the tolerance of 0.05 mm I
doubt that any hand tool would work. I've no idea what sort of shop charge
would result but it won't be cheap.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kevin_91B wrote:
well not quite a pcb but this blank board from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Would appreciate any help in brainstorming a solution. I could cut
it but I need a small square of about 30MM +- .05MM. Maybe a laser
cutting service? That's about the only thing I can think of.

Score it and snap it a bit oversize and then sand to final dimension.
Circuit board material breaks pretty cleanly with a good score-line on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:43:15 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Kevin,

A millimg machine would easily do this. Given the tolerance of 0.05 mm I
doubt that any hand tool would work. I've no idea what sort of shop charge
would result but it won't be cheap.

If that is true, make more than one. I think it won't be much extra
for the other ones. In case you ruin the first.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Kevin,

A millimg machine would easily do this. Given the tolerance of 0.05 mm I
doubt that any hand tool would work. I've no idea what sort of shop charge
would result but it won't be cheap.

If that is true, make more than one. I think it won't be much extra
for the other ones. In case you ruin the first.

Dave M.

Motto: There is nothing so simple that it cannot be made more
complicated

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:37:20 -0500, Kevin_91B wrote:

well not quite a pcb but this blank board from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Would appreciate any help in brainstorming a solution. I could cut it but I
need a small square of about 30MM +- .05MM. Maybe a laser cutting service?
That's about the only thing I can think of.

Get a square and put it where you want to cut it and score it a couple of
times with a utility knife, hard. Place the scored line over the edge of a
table and break it off at the scored line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RLM" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:37:20 -0500, Kevin_91B wrote:

well not quite a pcb but this blank board from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Would appreciate any help in brainstorming a solution. I could cut it
but I
need a small square of about 30MM +- .05MM. Maybe a laser cutting
service?
That's about the only thing I can think of.

Get a square and put it where you want to cut it and score it a couple of
times with a utility knife, hard. Place the scored line over the edge of a
table and break it off at the scored line.

Ok thanks for the all the suggestions. I should be able to get it done with
one of these methods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick,

I don't think that a home hobbyist will be able to do this. Look at that
0.05 mm tolerance. How will you measure hundredths of a millimeter?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:54:56 -0400, David L. Martel wrote:

Rick,

I don't think that a home hobbyist will be able to do this. Look at
that
0.05 mm tolerance. How will you measure hundredths of a millimeter?

Dave M.

Wet or dry sandpaper. I imagine he really means within .5mm The size board
he is using if it is a home project is possibly only going to have less
than a dozen components. More likely 6-8 components. 30mm x 30mm is about
the size I used for a transistor ignition for a motorcycle. Fits right in
one of the small Radio Shack project boxes. This is the board I used.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...Id=2104052&cp=

Cut it with a box (utility) knife, broke off clean and sanded the edge.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:40:17 -0400, RLM wrote:

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:54:56 -0400, David L. Martel wrote:

Rick,

I don't think that a home hobbyist will be able to do this. Look at
that
0.05 mm tolerance. How will you measure hundredths of a millimeter?

Dave M.

Wet or dry sandpaper. I imagine he really means within .5mm The size board
he is using if it is a home project is possibly only going to have less
than a dozen components. More likely 6-8 components. 30mm x 30mm is about
the size I used for a transistor ignition for a motorcycle. Fits right in
one of the small Radio Shack project boxes. This is the board I used.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...Id=2104052&cp=

Cut it with a box (utility) knife, broke off clean and sanded the edge.

This board is 45mm x 90mm before cutting. I cut it in half and the holes
align with the mounting holes inside the box.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RLM wrote:
Cut it with a box (utility) knife, broke off clean and sanded the edge.

This board is 45mm x 90mm before cutting. I cut it in half and the holes
align with the mounting holes inside the box.

I can't imagine why the OP thinks he needs such a tolerance anyway (even
if is a typo and meant 0.5 instead of 0.05 mm)...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:54:46 -0500, dpb wrote:

RLM wrote:
Cut it with a box (utility) knife, broke off clean and sanded the edge.

This board is 45mm x 90mm before cutting. I cut it in half and the holes
align with the mounting holes inside the box.

I can't imagine why the OP thinks he needs such a tolerance anyway (even
if is a typo and meant 0.5 instead of 0.05 mm)...

Perhaps he will share what it is that he is building. My curiosity is up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use "Lucy Lu" to chop PCBs;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/66633405

On Aug 20, 3:59*am, "Kevin_91B" wrote:
"RLM" wrote in message

Ok thanks for the all the suggestions. *I should be able to get it done with
one of these methods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Rick,

I don't think that a home hobbyist will be able to do this. Look at
that
0.05 mm tolerance. How will you measure hundredths of a millimeter?

Dave M.

With a micrometer?

WHY would a PCB -need- such tight tolerances?
what about thermal expansion?

I don't berlieve the OP is using it as a circuit board. He hasn't told
us what mysterious use he has for it, but he did say it wasn't being
used as a circuit board.

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..

RLM wrote:
Cut it with a box (utility) knife, broke off clean and sanded the edge.

This board is 45mm x 90mm before cutting. I cut it in half and the holes
align with the mounting holes inside the box.

I can't imagine why the OP thinks he needs such a tolerance anyway (even
if is a typo and meant 0.5 instead of 0.05 mm)...

Perhaps he will share what it is that he is building. My curiosity is up.

It will be sort of a "dummy" BGA unit which will be run through a machine at
work designed to handle parts of a certain size. Part too small or big,
machine jam.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...102495&cp=&sr=...

Would appreciate any help in brainstorming a solution. *I could cut it but I
need a small square of about 30MM +- .05MM. * Maybe a laser cutting service?
That's about the only thing I can think of.

A machine shop with a waterjet CNC cutting machine could do that
fairly quickly.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kevin_91B" writes:

Perhaps he will share what it is that he is building. My curiosity is up.

It will be sort of a "dummy" BGA unit which will be run through a machine at
work designed to handle parts of a certain size. Part too small or big,
machine jam.

Are you sure that the correct operation of the machine doesn't depend on
other dimensions of the BGA unit? Any reason you can't simply use a
physically real but electrically dead (and thus scrap) BGA package?

Dave