Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any experience with the pop-up type of downdraft range vents?

There are now downdraft range vents being made by a number of
manufacturers, Kitchenaid, Broan, GE, etc, that pop up and are
typically used with island cooktops. They are similar in concept
to the original downdraft vents invented by Jenn Air. The Jenn Air
type place the downdraft opening in the middle of the range at the
surface, with a blower that pulls air down and vents outside. This
newer type go at the back edge of of the range and when not used, sit
flush to the counter. They are about 2" wide and the length of the
range (36"). When activated, the vent moves up about 8 inchs and
turns on, with a 600CFM blower venting the air outside. The idea
being that by being higher, they will be more effective at catching
smoke. You also don't lose any burner space, so you can have a std
36" 5 burner gas cooktop.

I'm considering one and wondering if anyone has any actual experience
with one. I know they won't be as good as a true range hood at
catching all the smoke, but wondering how much better, if any, they
are compared to the Jenn Air downdraft type which I presently have.
I could put in a regular overhead hood, but it would be a lot more
work, require tearing up ceiling, moving/adding recessed lights, new
holes through exterior walls, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 18, 8:25*am, wrote:
[...]

Your choice will come down to the amount of serious cooking that
happens in the kitchen, and what kind is most common. If you use a
deep fryer very day or do a lot of pan frying or wok thrashing then
you won't be happy with anything less than a full on range vent. The
system you now have probably does fairly well. As far as the newer
popups, sorry I can't offer direct experience with them, but anything
that complex that doesn't obey the laws of physics (heat and smoke
rise, you know) would never pass my test for effectiveness. If you
could could have a sales person conduct a demo for you t might be
fairly enlightening. Find a fiend that smokes cigars to help out in
generating smoke.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 9:25*am, wrote:
[...]

Is it appropriate to mount this type of fan under existing roof vents? bent Woodworking 3 July 3rd 07 08:48 PM
Is this type of fan appropriate under roof vents in ceiling? bent Home Repair 12 June 29th 07 09:09 PM
downdraft range vent - hook it up? N8N Home Repair 4 December 1st 06 02:54 PM
Range type cooker boiler Gibbo UK diy 6 October 25th 05 08:20 PM
Downdraft / Sanding Table Plans or Experience Xlat Woodworking 7 March 1st 05 10:13 PM