Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bdavis464@earthlink.net is offline

Default Any experience with the pop-up type of downdraft range vents?

On Aug 18, 9:25*am, wrote:
There are now downdraft range vents being made by a number of
manufacturers, Kitchenaid, Broan, GE, etc, that pop up and are
typically used with island cooktops. * * They are similar in concept
to the original downdraft vents invented by Jenn Air. * The Jenn Air
type place the downdraft opening in the middle of the range at the
surface, with a blower that pulls air down and vents outside. * This
newer type go at the back edge of of the range and when not used, sit
flush to the counter. *They are about 2" wide and the length of the
range (36"). *When activated, the vent moves up about 8 inchs and
turns on, with a 600CFM blower venting the air outside. * *The idea
being that by being higher, they will be more effective at catching
smoke. *You also don't lose any burner space, so you can have a std
36" 5 burner gas cooktop.

I'm considering one and wondering if anyone has any actual experience
with one. * I know they won't be as good as a true range hood at
catching all the smoke, but wondering how much better, if any, they
are compared to the Jenn Air downdraft type which I presently have.
I could put in a regular overhead hood, but it would be a lot more
work, require tearing up ceiling, moving/adding recessed lights, new
holes through exterior walls, etc.