Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Click and Clack

mm wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 12:56:30 -0500, dpb wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

The radio show sucks too, IMO. It's long ago gone from a useful and
informative how-to aimed at backyard mechanics, to a pathetic forum
aimed at the unwashed masses, complete with lame jokes and calls that
have nothing to do with repairing cars.

I disagree on that -- while the number of "shadetree mechanics" has
certainly diminished (imo mostly owing to the complexity of the modern
automobile and the disappearance of the need for much of the routine
sort of things done by the owner formerly), it is still super for the
diagnosis of the peculiar or for dispensing useful advice on whether the
real mechanic is blowing smoke.

When they have a follow-up, where they call someone who they gave
advice to, they make all these statements that they haven't talked to
him in advance, etc. Is there some legal reason for that? They
don't charge for their answers, so this can't be protecting anyone
from fraud, but maybe there is now some general rule that even those
who don't charge money have to obey??

Case in point this AM -- gal calls in about oil leak and indications in
radiator overflow tank. Gets reasonable advice on which of three
different diagnoses she had received from three separate shops.

I like the show. In the last 15 years, it hasn't given as many
technical answers as ...I forget his name....he has a show on PBS
about cars, but not about how to repair them. He used to have the
best show, in DC, about how to repair them. One syllable last name,
and maybe one syllable first name too. His show was great for
repairs, but some auto repair shows make mistakes.

As to the tv show, I like it. It's not a classic like Gone With the
Wind, but it's wholesome and fun, and kids can watch it too without
being turned into perverts. There are no open bodies with bloodly
guts showing, and there are no murders or sex scenes, which seem to be
required for most tv these days, and I like C&C's tv show.

Speaking of classics, as a kid I was an avid reader the "Model Garage"
stories which ran in Popular Science magazine for 45 years, featuring
owner/mechanic "Gus Wilson". Anyone else here remember them?

There's a great tribute website to those stories he

http://www.gus-stories.org/

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

I loved reading those. Each was more or less a "mystery" with a twist
at the end. Some were very clever.