Posted to alt.home.repair

Default roof: minimum pitch for shingles

We have a roof problem that could most easily be solved by doing
somethign that would lower the pitch from 4:12 to 3:12. I keep hearing
that 4:12 is the "minimum" pitch for a shingled roof. But, that's also
what it was in the Stone Age.

I wonder if that rule still applies, if I underlaid the whole thing with
a bituminous membrane (aka "ice and water shield")?

Thanks,
George
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default minimum pitch for shingles

"George" wrote in message
We have a roof problem that could most easily be solved by doing
somethign that would lower the pitch from 4:12 to 3:12. I keep hearing
that 4:12 is the "minimum" pitch for a shingled roof. But, that's also
what it was in the Stone Age.

I wonder if that rule still applies, if I underlaid the whole thing with
a bituminous membrane (aka "ice and water shield")?

Thanks,
George

4:12 is the minimum for a "standard installation". The IBC code allows
shingles down to a pitch of 2:12 with restrictions.

At 3:12 I would use 30 pound felt well over lapped and reduce the exposure.
The roof may not last quite as long but it should shed water. It may also
affect your warranty. Never seen one of those pay off any way.

Check for local code restrictions before you start. Some local codes are
more restrictive.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 13, 3:03*pm, George wrote:

snip

if I underlaid the whole thing with
a bituminous membrane (aka "ice and water shield")?

That would likely work, but using Permafelt instead of 30 lb. felt
would be more effective, and somewhat pricier, but cheaper than EPDM
or other membranes. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

George wrote:
We have a roof problem that could most easily be solved by doing
somethign that would lower the pitch from 4:12 to 3:12. I keep hearing
that 4:12 is the "minimum" pitch for a shingled roof. But, that's also
what it was in the Stone Age.

I wonder if that rule still applies, if I underlaid the whole thing with
a bituminous membrane (aka "ice and water shield")?

In conjunction w/ Colbyt's suggestion, look at the manufacturer's web
site for information. IIRC, most have instructions for minimum slope
installations and also minimums. I was thinking 4:12 was a little
steeper than what I recalled them stating, but I could be wrong (and
didn't go look).

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:03:38 -0400, George
wrote:

We have a roof problem that could most easily be solved by doing
somethign that would lower the pitch from 4:12 to 3:12. I keep hearing
that 4:12 is the "minimum" pitch for a shingled roof. But, that's also
what it was in the Stone Age.

Wish I could help. Come on, let us know why a shallow roof would
solve yoiur problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have a roof problem that could most easily be solved by doing
somethign that would lower the pitch from 4:12 to 3:12. I keep hearing
that 4:12 is the "minimum" pitch for a shingled roof. But, that's also
what it was in the Stone Age.

Wish I could help. Come on, let us know why a shallow roof would
solve yoiur problem?

Hard to describe. It's an (old) L-shaped addition on the north side of
the house. The parallel section (ie, along the house) has a block
wall. The perpendicular section is wood frame, is wider than the
parallel section, and its edge is lower ... as it needs to be, to keep
the 4:12 pitch.

So, at the valley where the roofs meet, instead of neatly coming
together at the corner, the one roof ends some distance up from the edge
of the other. And, the second roof plane extends under that first one,
creating a very shallow cavity. That cavity seems be a source of decay,
AND an irresistable magnet for birds and squirrels.

If I raise the wall on the perpendicular section, the two roofs will
meet at the corner, and the cavity is gone. Only raising the wall
lowers the pitch.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

This should be a question on a solid geometry test. Who says that
high school math was worthless?

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have a roof problem that could most easily be solved by doing
somethign that would lower the pitch from 4:12 to 3:12. I keep hearing
that 4:12 is the "minimum" pitch for a shingled roof. But, that's also
what it was in the Stone Age.

Wish I could help. Come on, let us know why a shallow roof would
solve yoiur problem?

Why not just ask the shingle manufacturer what the minimum acceptable pitch
is for their product to be watertight? Might even be on their website.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/13/2008 4:03 PM George said the following:
We have a roof problem that could most easily be solved by doing
somethign that would lower the pitch from 4:12 to 3:12. I keep hearing
that 4:12 is the "minimum" pitch for a shingled roof. But, that's also
what it was in the Stone Age.

I wonder if that rule still applies, if I underlaid the whole thing with
a bituminous membrane (aka "ice and water shield")?

Thanks,
George

A Google search on 'asphalt shingles minimum roof pitch' brings up a
number of sites that say 2:12.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 4:03*pm, George wrote:
We have a roof problem that could most easily be solved by doing
somethign that would lower the pitch from 4:12 to 3:12. *I keep hearing
that 4:12 is the "minimum" pitch for a shingled roof. *But, that's also
what it was in the Stone Age. *

I wonder if that rule still applies, if I underlaid the whole thing with
a bituminous membrane (aka "ice and water shield")?

Thanks,
George

ya gotta use more shingles with less exposure when cheating, you might
only show 3" exposure to pull it off

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 1:03*pm, George wrote:
We have a roof problem that could most easily be solved by doing
somethign that would lower the pitch from 4:12 to 3:12. *I keep hearing
that 4:12 is the "minimum" pitch for a shingled roof. *But, that's also
what it was in the Stone Age. *

I wonder if that rule still applies, if I underlaid the whole thing with
a bituminous membrane (aka "ice and water shield")?

Thanks,
George

Been awhile but IIANM just visit your local supplier and look at a
shingle bundle. I recall that information (along with almost every
other answer to roofing questions) is printed right on the wrapper.

Harry K

New roof shingles: Remove thin plastic strips on back of shingles before nailing down? Joe Home Repair 34 March 10th 17 02:06 AM
Roof pitch insulation Big G UK diy 3 July 6th 06 10:35 PM
How do I determine roof pitch [email protected] Home Repair 6 June 6th 06 05:57 PM
Roof Pitch for Standard Shingles a12vman Home Repair 10 December 16th 05 02:00 AM
New roof shingles: Remove thin plastic strips on back of shingles before nailing down? Joe Home Ownership 10 November 30th 04 05:04 AM