Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shower pan leaking

Hi.
I have a fiberglass shower unit and I noticed in the basement, the
drain pipe is leaking from, apparently, where it connects to the
shower.

I don't see a way to get in from the top, so I imagine any repair will
need to be made from below.

It 'appears' that I could just recaulk it, but I'm not sure how to
proceed.. my internet searches have not revealed an exact situation
match.

I do have a couple of photo's I could post if there is a place to put
them.

thanks
Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 20:30:47 -0400, Jeff Kish
wrote:

Hi.
I have a fiberglass shower unit and I noticed in the basement, the
drain pipe is leaking from, apparently, where it connects to the
shower.

I don't see a way to get in from the top, so I imagine any repair will
need to be made from below.

It 'appears' that I could just recaulk it, but I'm not sure how to
proceed.. my internet searches have not revealed an exact situation
match.

I do have a couple of photo's I could post if there is a place to put
them.

Put them whereever you want, and then tell us where you put them. A
server with an http address would be good.

thanks
Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:13:12 -0400, mm
wrote:
http://webpages.charter.net/kishjjrj...ture%20080.jpg

I am not sure how the white pipe attached to the bottom of the
upstairs fiberglass enclosure. The little 'peg' things are not bolts
or covers for bolts that I can see.

thanks

wrote:

Hi.
I have a fiberglass shower unit and I noticed in the basement, the
drain pipe is leaking from, apparently, where it connects to the
shower.

I don't see a way to get in from the top, so I imagine any repair will
need to be made from below.

It 'appears' that I could just recaulk it, but I'm not sure how to
proceed.. my internet searches have not revealed an exact situation
match.

I do have a couple of photo's I could post if there is a place to put
them.

Put them whereever you want, and then tell us where you put them. A
server with an http address would be good.

thanks
Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

wrote:

Hi.
I have a fiberglass shower unit and I noticed in the basement, the
drain pipe is leaking from, apparently, where it connects to the
shower.

I don't see a way to get in from the top, so I imagine any repair will
need to be made from below.

It 'appears' that I could just recaulk it, but I'm not sure how to
proceed.. my internet searches have not revealed an exact situation
match.

I do have a couple of photo's I could post if there is a place to put
them.

Put them whereever you want, and then tell us where you put them. A
server with an http address would be good.

thanks
Jeff- Hide quoted text -

What you have to do is cut the pipe back and redo the drain as this
was not done right to begin with , you have movement under the floor
and the lip on the inside side of the floor is gapping. Easiest way
is to redo the drain and put some min expansion foam under the floor
to stop all movement of the floor , once the new one is in . This is
pvc pipe and you can get it anywhere probaly 1 1/2 diameter to seal
the inside lip use plumbers putty put the rubber gasket under the
floor , eliminate as much movement as you can of the floor as this is
the problem. have done many of these and no one doe,s them right .
Put sand under it when you build it never have this problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

wrote:

[...]

* Put sand under it when you build it never have this problem.- Hide quoted text -

You will probaly find some screws on the top side or under the cover
to remove the rain unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

snip
Thanks for the words of wisdom!
I am not sure what the rain unit is.
I guess you mean the expansion foam will help stop any movement. It
lasted about 15 years on the original install, I'd like to get another
20.

Do you mean the drain from the inside of the shower? It didn't look
like it comes apart.
Also I'm not sure what you mean by sand.. I mean I know what sand is,
but how I"d put it underneath the first floor when there is a basement
underneath it with a hole cut through showing what the picture shows
you.
thanks again,
jeff

What you have to do is cut the pipe back and redo the drain as this
was not done right to begin with , you have movement under the floor
and the lip on the inside side of the floor is gapping. *Easiest way
is to redo the drain and put some min expansion foam under the floor
to stop all movement of the floor , once the new one is in . *This is
pvc pipe and you can get it anywhere probaly 1 1/2 diameter to seal
the inside lip use plumbers putty *put the rubber gasket under the
floor , eliminate as much movement as you can of the floor as this is
the problem. *have done many of these and no one doe,s them right .
* Put sand under it when you build it never have this problem.- Hide quoted text -

You will probaly find some screws on the top side or under the cover
to remove the rain unit.

Leaking shower [email protected] UK diy 8 April 16th 07 01:35 PM
Leaking Shower Chalkie UK diy 4 March 27th 07 03:14 PM
Leaking Shower RoryC UK diy 4 June 16th 06 06:58 PM
Leaking Shower Hugh UK diy 2 July 31st 05 11:34 AM
leaking shower Emmet Cummings Home Repair 4 June 13th 04 04:15 AM