Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Softener newbie question

Hi. My wife & I just bought a house a couple months ago, in which the
previous owner had installed a water softener. I assume its working
correctly -- as the dishes don't have spots and at first the water
felt a bit "slimy." But, then we figured that's just because we were
used to hard water all these years. Now, we like feel of the water.

The gentleman before us lived by himself. He had the setting as
follows:

Hardness: 25. (Available range is 1-150, default is 20)

Regen day: 14 (Available is range is 1-28 days)
The manual says this is the MAXIMUM number of days between
regenerations. So, I assume it could do it sooner than every 14 days,
if it detected it was necessary? Is this correct? He had it at 14
days for himself, so maybe I should move it to 7 days since there are
two of us?

Regen time: 2am ... although I could have sworn I saw it doing the
regen one time in the afternoon. So, I guess this goes back to my
previous question ... will it regen automatically if it feels its
necessary to do BEFORE the setting you have programmed in?

I have left the setting as he had them and everything "seems" ok, but
I'm wondering if maybe I should adjust something for our situation?
Also, I noticed the other day that the salt tank was finally getting
low (to where I could see water on the bottom), So, I just dumped in a
bag of salt that he had left behind for the tank. Was this ok to do or
should I have done it during regeneration?

Finally, is there any additional maintenance I should be doing with
this thing? The manual (which stinks) mentions something about
sanitizing with bleach and allow the system to complete the
regeneration cycle. What about cleaning the salt tank itself?

Sorry for all the questions, but the manual that came with this is
horrible and this is my first experience with a water softener. Thank
you!

-Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Ask your neighbors and do what they do. They've already figured it out!

Posted to alt.home.repair

As far as maintenance goes on softeners I am familiar with, you have
two items to yearly clean. The injector/venturi and a filter. Both are
within the softeners valve body.

Never overfill the brine tank with salt, and it is best to use pellets
instead of crystals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 11:18*am, wrote:
[...]

Jim,

Answers based on the water softner I have.

Maximum setting is per your description, the Max time between regens
is 14 days per the setting you have. The water softner should regen
based on the amount of water you use. Forcing regen at 14 days just
means that a regen will occur after 14 days even if one is not
required. I would not move it up to 7 days, I would actually turn
off the forced regen and let it do it as needed based on water usage.
Extra regen mean wasted water.

The regen should take place at 2 AM on the morning after it detects it
needs to perform one. For example; at 9:00 AM on Thursday you have
used enough water to require a regen, it will not run until 2 AM
Friday morning.

Salt can be added at any time. It is better to only have one or two
feet of salt in at a time. FIlling the tank to the brim could cause
problems later as salt bridges can form. A salt bridge is when the
salt at the bottom dissolves and the she solid salt above stays there
forming a bridge. When a bridge forms the softener will not properly
regenerate because no salt is available to make the brine due to the
bridge.

Maintenance consists of a periodic cleaning of the venturi assembly.
The procedure should be outlined in your manual or on a label in the
inside cover of your softener. If the procedures are not there then
google it or repost and I can send you a procedure based on my
softener. The bleach sanitization procedure is only done during the
initial installation. You should not have to repeat it.

The hardness number is based on how hard your water is and will
determine how often your unit regens. Normally you get the number from
a water test or from your water provider. Personally I set the
number to the mid point and wait a week or two and see how soft the
water is. If it is soft I move it down a bit, if it is hard I move
it up. I do this until I find the right setting. Easiest way to
gauge water softness is while showering. Once you get used to soft
water it is real apparent when something is not working right.

Have Fun
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
wrote:

Hi. My wife & I just bought a house a couple months ago, in which the
previous owner had installed a water softener. I assume its working
correctly -- as the dishes don't have spots and at first the water
felt a bit "slimy." But, then we figured that's just because we were
used to hard water all these years. Now, we like feel of the water.

Welcome to the world of soft water. You'll never go back.

The gentleman before us lived by himself. He had the setting as
follows:

Hardness: 25. (Available range is 1-150, default is 20)

Regen day: 14 (Available is range is 1-28 days)
The manual says this is the MAXIMUM number of days between
regenerations. So, I assume it could do it sooner than every 14 days,
if it detected it was necessary? Is this correct?

Possibly, depending on the unit. Mine has a flow meter. When the girls
were home, the device called for a regeneration every other day. Now I
believe it is several days longer although I am rarely up at 2 AM to
check.

maybe I should move it to 7 days since there are two of us?

If you always have soft water (slimy/can't rinse the soap off feeling),
I wouldn't mess with the setting.

You should keep track of the salt it uses. That will reveal much. You
may even be able to INCREASE the interval between regenerations.

Regen time: 2am ... although I could have sworn I saw it doing the
regen one time in the afternoon.

The mechanical timer on my unit is occasionally "off" due to a power
outage.

will it regen automatically if it feels its
necessary to do BEFORE the setting you have programmed in?

That depends on the model you have. Fancier, higher-priced models
detect usage. Many cheaper ones do not.

I have left the setting as he had them and everything "seems" ok, but
I'm wondering if maybe I should adjust something for our situation?

Only if you run out of soft water. Once you get completely used to it,
you'll know if hard water returns. That will indicate that you are
either out of salt or that the unit needs to regenerate more often.

Also, I noticed the other day that the salt tank was finally getting
low (to where I could see water on the bottom), So, I just dumped in a
bag of salt that he had left behind for the tank. Was this ok to do or
should I have done it during regeneration?

It doesn't matter when salt is added. It's the liquid brine at the
bottom of the tank that does the magic.

Finally, is there any additional maintenance I should be doing with
this thing? The manual (which stinks) mentions something about
sanitizing with bleach and allow the system to complete the
regeneration cycle. What about cleaning the salt tank itself?

I have done virtually NO maintenance on my killer Culligan unit and even
go so far as to completely FILL the tank with (Morton blue bag) "solar"
salt crystals (not pellets), both discouraged by another poster, and
haven't had a problem in years (1991?).
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fan,

There should be a clock ot timer on your softener. This goes awry when
there is a power outage. If yiou want the softener to regenerate at 2:00 I'd
check to be sure the clock is correct.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 12:18 pm, wrote:
Hi. My wife & I just bought a house a couple months ago, in which the
previous owner had installed a water softener. I assume its working
correctly -- as the dishes don't have spots and at first the water
felt a bit "slimy." But, then we figured that's just because we were
used to hard water all these years. Now, we like feel of the water.

The gentleman before us lived by himself. He had the setting as
follows:

Hardness: 25. (Available range is 1-150, default is 20)

Regen day: 14 (Available is range is 1-28 days)

There is a formula used to program a control valve, it is not in the
consumer manual. Visit

www.qualitywaterassociates.com and you'll find it on the sizing page.

The best regeneration schedule is once every 7-9 days. Going longer
usually reduces the salt efficiency and can shorten the life of the
resin.

I suggest solar crystal salt because it is always the least expensive
and causes the fewest if any salt related problems with a softener.

I do not suggest annual maintenance of the control valve because you
can cause problems if you aren't real careful or otherwise. Wait until
you notice a problem like too much water in teh salt tank, then clean
the injector and injector screen and make sure all brine line fittings
are not allowing air to be sucked in the brining position of a
regeneration. And if you use pellet type salt, clean the salt tank.

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:08:29 -0700 (PDT), Gary Slusser
wrote:

On Aug 10, 12:18 pm, wrote:
Hi. My wife & I just bought a house a couple months ago, in which the
previous owner had installed a water softener. I assume its working
correctly -- as the dishes don't have spots and at first the water
felt a bit "slimy." But, then we figured that's just because we were

I suggest solar crystal salt because it is always the least expensive
and causes the fewest if any salt related problems with a softener.

The only problem with crystals, even solar salt is dirt. Many years of
using Solar Salt will leave a dirt bed at the bottom of the brine tank
that will plug the filter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 1:18 pm, wrote:
Hi. My wife & I just bought a house a couple months ago, in which the
previous owner had installed a water softener. I assume its working
correctly -- as the dishes don't have spots and at first the water
felt a bit "slimy." But, then we figured that's just because we were
used to hard water all these years. Now, we like feel of the water.

The gentleman before us lived by himself. He had the setting as
follows:

Hardness: 25. (Available range is 1-150, default is 20)

Regen day: 14 (Available is range is 1-28 days)
The manual says this is the MAXIMUM number of days between
regenerations. So, I assume it could do it sooner than every 14 days,
if it detected it was necessary? Is this correct? He had it at 14
days for himself, so maybe I should move it to 7 days since there are
two of us?

Depends on how much water you use. If the water always seems soft,
then no need to adjust. If it seems sometimes you run out of
softening and the water gets hard, then you may need to regenerate
more often. The hardness level setting probably determines how much
salt it uses for each regeneration.

Regen time: 2am ... although I could have sworn I saw it doing the
regen one time in the afternoon. So, I guess this goes back to my
previous question ... will it regen automatically if it feels its
necessary to do BEFORE the setting you have programmed in?

Again the answer is depends, some units will detect that, but many
cheaper/older units go strictly by the timer.
Regens in the afternoon - The timer may be screwed up due to a past
power outage or some such -- take a look and see if you can tell what
time it thinks it is right now. You might just need to set it to the
right time.

I have left the setting as he had them and everything "seems" ok, but
I'm wondering if maybe I should adjust something for our situation?
Also, I noticed the other day that the salt tank was finally getting
low (to where I could see water on the bottom), So, I just dumped in a
bag of salt that he had left behind for the tank. Was this ok to do or
should I have done it during regeneration?

Nope, you did just what you are supposed to do.

Finally, is there any additional maintenance I should be doing with
this thing? The manual (which stinks) mentions something about
sanitizing with bleach and allow the system to complete the
regeneration cycle. What about cleaning the salt tank itself?

There may be some sort of maintenance that you should do, but I gotta
tell ya, the ten years I lived with a softener, I did zero maintenance
and nothing bad happened. And the unit was already several years old
when I started.

Sorry for all the questions, but the manual that came with this is
horrible and this is my first experience with a water softener. Thank
you!

-Jim

The only other thing to think about is what kind of salt do you need.
Probably just keep using whatever was there (did you keep the bag?).
In my area, the water had iron in it as well as hardness minerals, and
I had to use the salt with iron-out additive. Otherwise the clothes
would get stained in the washing machine -- not good. Depends on the
water in your area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just want to thank everybody for the great responses. You gave me a
lot of good info to go on. From the info you've all provided, I think
I'm going to employ the old "if it ain't broken, don't fix it"
philosophy. The water in the house looks and feels good (well, after
we had gotten used to that slimy feeling from all the years of having
hard water). As someone said, I should notice if the water ever goes
back to being hard. And so far, I haven't noticed any change back.
So, I'm leaving the settings at 14 days regen and "25" for the
hardness level. Also, I will only fill the salt pellets when I notice
it getting pretty low (never to the top). I did keep the bag so I
will try to get that same brand (again, if it ain't broken...). Its
good to know I don't have to flush the whole system with bleach (I'
going to assume that was done when it was first installed). As far as
other maintenance, I'll play it by ear. I'm not much of a handyman,
but there is a phone number on the unit of the place who installed
it. Maybe I can call them and ask. I would have called them to come
out & give me a rundown on some of these questions I had, but it
probably would have cost me $100+ just to have somebody knock at my
door. I had a feeling this group would know all about these
things ... so thanks again! Greatly appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I suggest solar crystal salt because it is always the least expensive
and causes the fewest if any salt related problems with a softener.

The only problem with crystals, even solar salt is dirt. Many years of
using Solar Salt will leave a dirt bed at the bottom of the brine tank
that will plug the filter.

But there is no "filter" to block and a good softener has a brine well
and the brine pick up tube is in it and salt or dirt doesn't get into
the brine well or the pick up.

Pellets lose their shape when they get wet and the grains of salt fall
to the bottom of the tank and then dry out in the 100 saturated water
that is not able to be sucked out. That becomes mass of rock hard
material and as it builds up, the water goes up into the pellets
higher and higher making more rock hard stuff in the bottom of the
tank.

So the choice is many years with solar or just a few with pellets.

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 3:10 pm, Heathcliff wrote:
On Aug 10, 1:18 pm, wrote:

[...]

All softeners have a means to set a salt dose in lbs. per
regeneration; either in the salt tank or in the programming of the
control valve.

That (salt dose) in a given cubic foot volume and type of resin gives
you the K of capacity. Then the volume of water to be treated * the
hardness in gpg dictates how much of the regenerated capacity is used
between regenerations and that establishes the number of days or
gallons between regenerations.

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I suggest solar crystal salt because it is always the least expensive
and causes the fewest if any salt related problems with a softener.

The only problem with crystals, even solar salt is dirt. Many years of
using Solar Salt will leave a dirt bed at the bottom of the brine tank
that will plug the filter.

But there is no "filter" to block and a good softener has a brine well
and the brine pick up tube is in it and salt or dirt doesn't get into
the brine well or the pick up.

There is a pick up tube filter/strainer at the bottom of my brine tank
that can plug if surrounded by dirt.

Pellets lose their shape when they get wet and the grains of salt fall
to the bottom of the tank and then dry out in the 100 saturated water
that is not able to be sucked out. That becomes mass of rock hard
material and as it builds up, the water goes up into the pellets
higher and higher making more rock hard stuff in the bottom of the
tank.

It will only become rock hard if you overfill. Try to keep just on bag
of salt in the tank at a time.

So the choice is many years with solar or just a few with pellets.

My previous use Solar Salt is specifically what caused problems with
my
softener.

Water softener newbie questions rlp2955 Home Repair 14 January 13th 08 06:37 PM
Water Softener Question Bg Home Repair 0 October 21st 06 09:34 PM
Water Softener question Jason Godfrey Home Repair 3 October 6th 04 01:47 PM
Question about water softener AussieResc Home Repair 1 July 16th 04 09:34 PM
Water Softener Question Mike Hoffman Home Repair 3 April 8th 04 11:52 PM