Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default concrete floor cracks

I have some hairline cracks in the concrete floor of my garage. I am
getting ready to epoxy it and want to seal the cracks. There are a bunch of
products out there to seal hairline cracks. I would appreciate
recommendatons as to what works well.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 8, 8:02*pm, "Art" wrote:
I have some hairline cracks in the concrete floor of my garage. *I am
getting ready to epoxy it and want to seal the cracks. *There are a bunch of
products out there to seal hairline cracks. *I would appreciate
recommendatons as to what works well.

Thanks.

Brush some of the epoxy finish into the cracks and let it cure before
finishing the entire floor; adhesion is good (usual precautions
apply), it doesn't shrink, so it makes a pretty good crack filler if
the gap isn't too big. Keep it level with the floor surface, of
course.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a moistue testing kit on that concrete before you even consider
epoxy. #1 cause of epoxy failure is moisture transmission.

Also, hairline cracks are easy to fill, but the filling doesn't last
long if you're in a cold climate--too much expansion and contraction.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

We did the moisture test and it was dry as a bone. We live in NC and for
the most part winters are relatively mild. I'll ignore the 20 inch snow
storm we had a few years ago.

"Rick-Meister" wrote in message
Get a moistue testing kit on that concrete before you even consider
epoxy. #1 cause of epoxy failure is moisture transmission.

Also, hairline cracks are easy to fill, but the filling doesn't last
long if you're in a cold climate--too much expansion and contraction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 8:02*pm, "Art" wrote:
I have some hairline cracks in the concrete floor of my garage. *I am
getting ready to epoxy it and want to seal the cracks. *There are a bunch of
products out there to seal hairline cracks. *I would appreciate
recommendatons as to what works well.

Thanks.

use mortar, if it reopens use silicone caulk, it expands and contracts

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 9, 9:26*am, ransley wrote:

snip

.
use mortar, if it reopens use silicone caulk, it expands and contracts

It bears repeating../keep silicones away from anything that must be
painted.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 11:54�am, Joe wrote:
On Aug 9, 9:26�am, ransley wrote:

snip

.
use mortar, if it reopens use silicone caulk, it expands and contracts

It bears repeating../keep silicones away from anything that must be
painted.

Joe

bare concrete in a garage is preferable, at least to me. it requires
basically NO maintence!

one you coat it with anything, wear, heat from tires etc will cause
grief.

best to never coat it again, and those cracks will move over time,
much more noticeable
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 9, 11:39*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:54 am, Joe wrote:
On Aug 9, 9:26 am, ransley wrote:

snip
.
use mortar, if it reopens use silicone caulk, it expands and contracts
It bears repeating../keep silicones away from anything that must be
painted.

Joe

bare concrete in a garage is preferable, at least to me. it requires
basically NO maintence!

one you coat it with anything, wear, heat from tires etc will cause
grief.

best to never coat it again, and those cracks will move over time,
much more noticeable

Hi,
Ditto here. Over the years I never coated garage floor with anything.
Leaving as is best for me. No grief, no repeated work.

Next time you are in a professional service garage note the painted
floor. The reason for this is quite simple, safety. Spills of oil,
brake fluid, antifreeze and hypoid oils will always soak into
concrete. The cleanup is fast and complete with a decent floor finish.
With bare concrete residue is always left behind with inevitable
buildup. The crud looks nasty, causes accidents and costs more to keep
under control. Besides, trying to sell a house with an ugly oil stain
where you parked your Yugo is going to be a big disappointment in
today's market.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Turns out Rustoleum makes a 2 part epoxy crack filler for this purpose.
Ready to paint in 8 hours. Too bad it is hard to find and not mentioned in
the instructions that come with the epoxyshield coating.

m...