Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hardwood Floor

I am installing 3/4 inch oak hardwood in a hallway 20 ft long and 4 1/2 ft
wide. I am installing it the "long way" on a 5/8 inch plywood subfloor. My
problem is that the 12 inch floor joists change directions so that the
hardwood will be parallel with the joists for the last 7 feet of the
hallway. The joists are on 16 inch centers and I thought about going under
the floor and installing blocks between the joists, but the central heat
ductwork is in the way. The only way I can put blocks in is to cut into the
subfloor and pull enough of it up to put the blocks in from the top. I would
also have to attach blocks to the existing joists to have something to nail
to when replacing the subfloor. Is this all necessary, or can I just lay the
hardwood on the floor the way it is for that short distance. Thanks for the
help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
I am installing 3/4 inch oak hardwood in a hallway 20 ft long and 4 1/2 ft
wide. I am installing it the "long way" on a 5/8 inch plywood subfloor. My
problem is that the 12 inch floor joists change directions so that the
hardwood will be parallel with the joists for the last 7 feet of the
hallway. The joists are on 16 inch centers and I thought about going under
the floor and installing blocks between the joists, but the central heat
ductwork is in the way. The only way I can put blocks in is to cut into the
subfloor and pull enough of it up to put the blocks in from the top. I
would also have to attach blocks to the existing joists to have something
to nail to when replacing the subfloor. Is this all necessary, or can I
just lay the hardwood on the floor the way it is for that short distance.
Thanks for the help.

it will probably look silly if you switch in mid-hallway. if it were me, i'd
either switch to doing it all cross wise, or lay it diagonally, so it would
be the same the entire length.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I do not intend on changing the direction of the hardwood in mid hallway. I
will only go the "long way". It is only the joists that change directions.
My question is only will it be a problem going the same directions as the
joists for a distance of 7 ft.

"charlie" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
I am installing 3/4 inch oak hardwood in a hallway 20 ft long and 4
1/2 ft wide. I am installing it the "long way" on a 5/8 inch plywood
subfloor. My problem is that the 12 inch floor joists change
directions so that the hardwood will be parallel with the joists for
the last 7 feet of the hallway. The joists are on 16 inch centers and
I thought about going under the floor and installing blocks between
the joists, but the central heat ductwork is in the way. The only way
I can put blocks in is to cut into the subfloor and pull enough of it
up to put the blocks in from the top. I would also have to attach
blocks to the existing joists to have something to nail to when
replacing the subfloor. Is this all necessary, or can I just lay the
hardwood on the floor the way it is for that short distance. Thanks
for the help.

There should be no problem.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
I am installing 3/4 inch oak hardwood in a hallway 20 ft long and 4 1/2 ft
wide. I am installing it the "long way" on a 5/8 inch plywood subfloor. My
problem is that the 12 inch floor joists change directions so that the hardwood
will be parallel with the joists for the last 7 feet of the hallway. The joists
are on 16 inch centers and I thought about going under the floor and installing
blocks between the joists, but the central heat ductwork is in the way. The
only way I can put blocks in is to cut into the subfloor and pull enough of it
up to put the blocks in from the top. I would also have to attach blocks to the
existing joists to have something to nail to when replacing the subfloor. Is
this all necessary, or can I just lay the hardwood on the floor the way it is
for that short distance. Thanks for the help.

Ducts can be dis-assembled and re-assembled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 2:33*pm, "Mike" wrote:
I am installing 3/4 inch oak hardwood in a hallway 20 ft long and 4 1/2 ft
wide. I am installing it the "long way" on a 5/8 inch plywood subfloor. My
problem is that the 12 inch floor joists change directions so that the
hardwood will be parallel with the joists for the last 7 feet of the
hallway. The joists are on 16 inch centers and I thought about going under
the floor and installing blocks between the joists, but the central heat
ductwork is in the way. The only way I can put blocks in is to cut into the
subfloor and pull enough of it up to put the blocks in from the top. I would
also have to attach blocks to the existing joists to have something to nail
to when replacing the subfloor. Is this all necessary, or can I just lay the
hardwood on the floor the way it is for that short distance. Thanks for the
help.

I don't like running strip flooring parallel to the joists,
particularly in high traffic areas with a thin subfloor. I wouldn't
seriously consider running it parallel on anything less than 3/4"
sheathing with joists 16" OC, and I'd still be thinking of maybe
laminating 1/4" plywood depending on what's going on with the
adjoining flooring.

You would know you had made the wrong decision when the floor gaps
indicate the location of the parallel floor joist, indicating a high
spot. This occurs over the joist. The floor gaps between the joists
would have less of a gap indicating a dip in the floor.

You may also consider laying the floor diagonally as already
mentioned, or a herringbone pattern. Then again, you might not be
bothered by gaps in the floor and/or you're not planning on being
there for long, so it's your call!

Broken TV from Floor Vibrations? hardwood floor, five guys jumpingaround playing RockBand on Wii. [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 February 6th 08 03:34 AM
Putting hardwood floor on top of hardwood floor CompleteNewb Home Repair 6 October 19th 07 03:52 PM
Hardwood floor DIY Cheezits Home Repair 12 March 31st 06 03:20 AM
hardwood floor ? Fire&Ice Home Repair 8 February 2nd 05 04:04 PM
Hardwood Floor - High Spot in Floor Steve Johnson Home Repair 2 March 27th 04 10:58 PM