Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default Hardwood Floor

I am installing 3/4 inch oak hardwood in a hallway 20 ft long and 4 1/2 ft
wide. I am installing it the "long way" on a 5/8 inch plywood subfloor. My
problem is that the 12 inch floor joists change directions so that the
hardwood will be parallel with the joists for the last 7 feet of the
hallway. The joists are on 16 inch centers and I thought about going under
the floor and installing blocks between the joists, but the central heat
ductwork is in the way. The only way I can put blocks in is to cut into the
subfloor and pull enough of it up to put the blocks in from the top. I would
also have to attach blocks to the existing joists to have something to nail
to when replacing the subfloor. Is this all necessary, or can I just lay the
hardwood on the floor the way it is for that short distance. Thanks for the
help.