Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn Mower Power - What is the HP?

wrote:
On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 22:25:49 -0500, "Leroy"
wrote:

Does anyone know how to determine the HP on this thing?

Google's quicker than posting here? g

see
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...7186_200317186

Thanks for the link, but that still does not give the HorsePower.

It seems you didn't scroll down on the above link? It reads:

"HP 4
Application Walk behind mowers
Torque (ft./lbs.) 5.5"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Be advised, the replacement engines are a lot different that the junk that
gets put on the "$150 mower".

wrote in message

PS. I get a laugh out of the engines prices on that site.
$220 for an engine when the whole mower costs $150.
Why would anyone buy an engine?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 23:17:58 -0500, "Leroy"

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...roduct_6970_20....

Thanks for the link, but that still does not give the HorsePower.

It seems you didn't scroll down on the above link? *It reads:

"HP *4
Application * *Walk behind mowers
Torque (ft./lbs.) * 5.5"

Hmmmmmmm,
For some reason the page must have not loaded properly the first time.
I got the top of the page, and half a photo of the engine.
I just reloaded and now I can see the specs.

I did find another site that lists a 4.75 ft lb Briggs engine to be
3.5HP. *So this would be about right.

I think a 4HP should be about right for my needs. *The old 3.0 HP was
weak, and the 3.5 was the bare minimum. *So a 4.0 should get the job
done.

PS. I get a laugh out of the engines prices on that site.
$220 for an engine when the whole mower costs $150.
Why would anyone buy an engine?

It's just like my current mower. *The carburetor is shot. *The local
repair shop wants $35 for a carburetor rebuild kit. *Then the plastic
(piece of garbage) air cleaner does not close properly and always
fills with rain water if I dont put it indoors. They said the air
cleaner housing is a special order, and said it would cost from $25 to
$35. *Then I still have worn wheels and a blade that should be
replaced, and I know they cost around $20. *Add to that a few cans of
carb cleaner.

That's almost $100 for parts, not to mention several hours of work,
and I still have worn wheels. *I've come to the conclusion it does not
pay to repair small engines anymore. *Those parts are outrageously
priced. *$35 for a few gaskets and a needle valve is insane, as well
as the air cleaner price, especially when they are made to deform from
the engine heat, right out of the factory. *What ever happened to the
metal air cleaners that used an actual screw to hold it in place,
unlike these plastic snaps that never last. *The air cleaner on my
last mower fell off and I chopped it up. *Who designs this ****?- Hide quoted text -

What exactly do you expect for $150 and why do you leave your mower
out in the rain?
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...t_6970_2003171
[...]

Who designs this ****? Engineers who are told to design a lawnmower that
can be manufactured for $35, so that it can be sold at WalMart to cheap
*******s for $138. You want quality, buy quality. You want junk, buy
junk, but don't snivel about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 8:33*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:

What exactly do you expect for $150 and why do you leave your mower
out in the rain?

Yeah. For $200 I recently bought a used 12.5HP Snapper riding mower.

Why not leave it out in the rain? Won't hurt the mower any more than hosing
it down when the job's done.

Of course it will. Comparing it to washing it down is like saying a
car left exposed outside instead of having it garaged is no worse off
than cars taken to the car wash occasionally. Leaving it outside,
depending on the exact climate, can expose it to long periods of being
wet, high humidity which can condense on inside parts, etc.

Plus, I don't know about you, but if I were washing off my mower, I
wouldn't be spraying water down on top of the engine like rain would
fall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 7:33*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:

What exactly do you expect for $150 and why do you leave your mower
out in the rain?

Yeah. For $200 I recently bought a used 12.5HP Snapper riding mower.

Why not leave it out in the rain? Won't hurt the mower any more than hosing
it down when the job's done.

Electric connections, slide cables and switches corrode. Moisture can
cause electric shorting. When you hose it its often hot and dries out
fast in the sun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

Who designs this ****? Engineers who are told to design a lawnmower
that can be manufactured for $35, so that it can be sold at WalMart
to cheap *******s for $138. You want quality, buy quality. You want
junk, buy junk, but don't snivel about it.

If you can make it for $35, Walmat will tell you the will take 5,000,000 at
$32.79 because they want to sell it for $34.00.

It's up to you how you make any money.