Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

Default Replacing Galvinized Pipes with C-PVC Pipe?

Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor bath
tub. A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in another
spot. The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the bathroom with
C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o problems. He
further states copper is way too expensive these days.
Want do you think?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

On Aug 5, 7:44�am, "Tom" wrote:
Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor bath
tub. �A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in another
spot. � The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the bathroom with
C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o problems. �He
further states copper is way too expensive these days.
Want do you think?

Thanks

he wants to make more money, PEX is way cheaper and easier to work
with, just replace all the galavanized in your home.

C PVC has joints, more chances of leaks and takes longer to install$$$:
(

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

wrote in message

he wants to make more money, PEX is way cheaper and easier to work
with, just replace all the galavanized in your home.

C PVC has joints, more chances of leaks and takes longer to install$$$:

What is PEX? a flexible pipe?

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

"Tom" wrote in message ...
Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor bath
tub. A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in another
spot. The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the bathroom with
C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o problems. He
further states copper is way too expensive these days.
Want do you think?

Thanks

CPVC will be fine as a replacement for the galvanized. There are other
options, but for the vast majority of circumstances, your plumber is picking
the right one.
However, if it were my house I would insist that the entire system be
repiped now. Make whatever sheetrock or other finish repairs necessary and
just get it over with. When galvanized piping starts going bad in one area
it's just a matter of time before the entire system is failing. You could be
doing odd and end repairs for the next several years spending way more money
and dealing with damages and headaches beyond whatever it might take now to
just remedy the problem.
Yes, it costs more now. But it will save you untold future problems.

Bob Wheatley

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

On Aug 5, 5:40*am, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
I think go with the cpvc. *Pex is just cheap assed builder grade plumbing.
It would be cheaper probably though if your pinched.

"Tom" wrote in ....
Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor bath
tub. *A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in another
spot. * The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the bathroom with
C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o problems. *He
further states copper is way too expensive these days.
Want do you think?

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Price on it must have changed. Back when it first came out is was not
cheap. Another disadvantage is that it is not a 'homeowner' fixer if
you need to change it or fix a leak without investing in a very
expensive tool.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

On Aug 5, 9:56*am, Harry K wrote:
On Aug 5, 5:40*am, "Steve Barker DLT"

I think go with the cpvc. *Pex is just cheap assed builder grade plumbing.
It would be cheaper probably though if your pinched.

Price on it must have changed. *Back when it first came out is was not
cheap. *Another disadvantage is that it is not a 'homeowner' fixer if
you need to change it or fix a leak without investing in a very
expensive tool.

If you're talking about PEX, it can easily be worked on by anybody.
There are fittings that require no tools to install. I like the
Sharkbite fittings, as posted already, but Watts also makes them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

"Tom" wrote in message ...
Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor bath
tub. A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in another
spot. The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the bathroom with
C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o problems. He
further states copper is way too expensive these days.
Want do you think?

Thanks

Hi,
Not so. New generation PEX is very reliable and easy to work with.
It's proven heating golf course grass underground and in new residential
houses.
Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

wrote:
I think go with the cpvc. Pex is just cheap assed builder grade plumbing.
It would be cheaper probably though if your pinched.

"Tom" wrote in ...
Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor bath
tub. A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in another
spot. The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the bathroom with
C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o problems. He
further states copper is way too expensive these days.
Want do you think?
Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Price on it must have changed. Back when it first came out is was not
cheap. Another disadvantage is that it is not a 'homeowner' fixer if
you need to change it or fix a leak without investing in a very
expensive tool.

Harry K

Hmmm,
You can rent crimping tool from Lowe or HD at reasonale cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

"Bob Wheatley" wrote in message
"Tom" wrote in message

CPVC will be fine as a replacement for the galvanized. There are other
options, but for the vast majority of circumstances, your plumber is
picking the right one.
However, if it were my house I would insist that the entire system be
repiped now. Make whatever sheetrock or other finish repairs necessary and
just get it over with. When galvanized piping starts going bad in one area
it's just a matter of time before the entire system is failing. You could
be doing odd and end repairs for the next several years spending way more
money and dealing with damages and headaches beyond whatever it might take
now to just remedy the problem.
Yes, it costs more now. But it will save you untold future problems.

The basement, including bathroom, is all copper. After the upstairs
bathroom is finished the only galvinized is going to the kitchen, which I'll
take care of later.