Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bulb sizes: BR-40 vs R-40?

I want to replace some recessed flood light bulbs in my basement den
with CFL equivalents.

The information label on the reflector says it takes BR-40 (and the
bulb in there now has the shape of a BR-40).

There aren't that many choices for CFL BR-40, however, and I'm
wondering whether "R-40" is the same thing as BR-40. I've looked
around on the web and can't find anything about this.

TIA,

Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

The lamps are physically equivalent in terms of reflector diameter; but may
be different in overall length (usually called "MOL" or maximum overall
length in lamp manufacturers spec. sheets.). The "40" refers to the
diameter of the lamp in 1/8 of an inch (yes, it's an odd way to measure
lamps; but that's what it is.

So, an R-40 reflector lamp is 40/8 = 5 inches in diameter.

The BR-40 has the same reflector diameter, but has a bulge in the glass near
the lens. That doesn't change the optics of the bulb significantly, but it
does create more volume inside the bulb. Most BR-40 lamps are 6 1/2 inches
from lens to tip of base; but check that dimension in any "R" or "BR" lamp
that you buy as a replacement since MOLs can vary and a longer lamp may look
glaring and ugly if it sticks out the bottom of shallow "can" fixtures.

While there aren't many listings for BR-40 CFLs, there are enough to find
replacements for your standard lamps and BR-40 CFLs are made by the major
manufacturers such as GE.

TKM

wrote in message
I want to replace some recessed flood light bulbs in my basement den
with CFL equivalents.

The information label on the reflector says it takes BR-40 (and the
bulb in there now has the shape of a BR-40).

There aren't that many choices for CFL BR-40, however, and I'm
wondering whether "R-40" is the same thing as BR-40. I've looked
around on the web and can't find anything about this.

TIA,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I want to replace some recessed flood light bulbs in my basement den
with CFL equivalents.

The information label on the reflector says it takes BR-40 (and the
bulb in there now has the shape of a BR-40).

There aren't that many choices for CFL BR-40, however, and I'm
wondering whether "R-40" is the same thing as BR-40. I've looked
around on the web and can't find anything about this.

TIA,

What you really need to be aware of is that many CF- reflector flood
equivalent lamps won't seat properly in the recessed fixture socket.
Depending upon the make and model of the recessed fixture, and CF lamp,
internal fixture parts can interfere with the lamps ability to be completely
screwed down, and of course, you assume the lamp is defective when this
happens

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
wrote in message
I want to replace some recessed flood light bulbs in my basement den
with CFL equivalents.

The information label on the reflector says it takes BR-40 (and the
bulb in there now has the shape of a BR-40).

There aren't that many choices for CFL BR-40, however, and I'm
wondering whether "R-40" is the same thing as BR-40. I've looked
around on the web and can't find anything about this.

TIA,

What you really need to be aware of is that many CF- reflector flood
equivalent lamps won't seat properly in the recessed fixture socket.
Depending upon the make and model of the recessed fixture, and CF lamp,
internal fixture parts can interfere with the lamps ability to be completely
screwed down, and of course, you assume the lamp is defective when this
happens

I might add that all of the CF reflectors, at least the ones I have,
take a long time to come up to full brightness ~2 min. or so. And they
don't seem to last as long as the non reflector type.

Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 05 Aug 2008 06:15:16a, Kevin Ricks told us...

RBM wrote:
wrote in message

@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
[...]

Well, not *all* CFL reflectors. I have 12 23W R40s in recessed cans in my
kitchen. They were purchsed nearly two years ago and are used for the
better part of the day and evening. They reach full brightness in ~30
seconds. We have had no problems. I don't recall the brand, but the were
purchased at Home Depot.

The said poart about CFLs in general is that there don't seem to be any
standards that manufacturers follow that would insure consistency across
the board.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 08(VIII)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 2:29*pm, wrote:
I want to replace some recessed flood light bulbs in my basement den
with CFL equivalents.

snip

Thanks for all the responses---very helpful. I'll buy one CFL bulb
and try it out before buying lots of them.

Cheers,

Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

5.247...

RBM wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Any CFLs marked "Energy Star" have to conform to some rather extensive
performance specifications involving life, light output, color, etc. See:
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=cfls.pr_cfls Further, samples of the
lamp have to be tested on a regular basis and the manufacturer has to
provide a toll-free telephone number on the package in case of consumer
problems. The dimensions of CFLs are standardized, including the bases too,
according to ANSI C78.901-2001. But, some CFLs don't fit into the "can"
type downlights because the fixtures (and their sockets) are older than the
standard.

The reason for the slow warm-up of some CFLs is that they use an "amalgam"
for temperature control. That improves light output in hot fixtures.
Amalgam lamps are a good choice for can fixtures as they are usually
enclosed and/or surrounded by insulation.

TKM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 05 Aug 2008 06:16:28p, TKM told us...

RBM wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all that information. I was unaware. I don't know if our lamps
are Energy Star compliant. I do know that our recessed can fixtures are
brand new and well-ventilated. We had no trouble with the lamps fitting
the sockets in the fixtures.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 08(VIII)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)