Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default bulb sizes: BR-40 vs R-40?

RBM wrote:
wrote in message
I want to replace some recessed flood light bulbs in my basement den
with CFL equivalents.

The information label on the reflector says it takes BR-40 (and the
bulb in there now has the shape of a BR-40).

There aren't that many choices for CFL BR-40, however, and I'm
wondering whether "R-40" is the same thing as BR-40. I've looked
around on the web and can't find anything about this.

TIA,

What you really need to be aware of is that many CF- reflector flood
equivalent lamps won't seat properly in the recessed fixture socket.
Depending upon the make and model of the recessed fixture, and CF lamp,
internal fixture parts can interfere with the lamps ability to be completely
screwed down, and of course, you assume the lamp is defective when this
happens

I might add that all of the CF reflectors, at least the ones I have,
take a long time to come up to full brightness ~2 min. or so. And they
don't seem to last as long as the non reflector type.

Kevin