Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Polishing hardware on kitchen cabinets

I have nickle-plated hardware on my kitchen cabinets: hinges, door-pulls,
knobs, etc. The hardware has started to tarnish a bit, especially those
pieces that are used often. The knob on the drawer where I keep my knives
is turning dark gray in color and I want to polish it up a bit.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to go about this without ruining something.
What is the best way to go about polishing my knob?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote in message

I have nickle-plated hardware on my kitchen cabinets: hinges, door-pulls,
knobs, etc. The hardware has started to tarnish a bit, especially those
pieces that are used often. The knob on the drawer where I keep my knives
is turning dark gray in color and I want to polish it up a bit.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to go about this without ruining

something.
What is the best way to go about polishing my knob?

First, remove the knob (usually fastened by screws
inside the drawer.) Then you can experiment with
various silver metal polishes without harming the
drawer front. When you achieve a finish you like,
you can spray it with a clear lacquer to keep it
tarnish-free (until handling wears out the lacquer.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 03 Aug 2008 07:42:41a, Don Phillipson told us...

"Mark" wrote in message

I have nickle-plated hardware on my kitchen cabinets: hinges, door-pulls,
knobs, etc. The hardware has started to tarnish a bit, especially those
pieces that are used often. The knob on the drawer where I keep my knives
is turning dark gray in color and I want to polish it up a bit.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to go about this without ruining
something. What is the best way to go about polishing my knob?

First, remove the knob (usually fastened by screws
inside the drawer.) Then you can experiment with
various silver metal polishes without harming the
drawer front. When you achieve a finish you like,
you can spray it with a clear lacquer to keep it
tarnish-free (until handling wears out the lacquer.)

Nickek-plate is actually a pretty delicate metal finish. Be careful of
whatever product you use as a polish as it could ruin the finish with its
abrasives. (Many silver poslishes are highly abrasive.)

I would first try using a jeweler's rouge cloth. If that doesn't work, you
try Semi-Chrome polish in the tube, but just a very small amount on a very
soft cloth.

I've also seen this recommendation on the Web:

"A brilliant polish may be given to tarnished nickel by immersing in alcohol
and 2 per cent of sulphuric acid from 5 to 15 seconds. Take out, wash in
running water, rinse in alcohol, and rub dry with linen cloth."

HTH
--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 08(VIII)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote in message

snip

What is the best way to go about polishing my knob?

I won't go there :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote in
:

I have nickle-plated hardware on my kitchen cabinets: hinges,
door-pulls, knobs, etc. The hardware has started to tarnish a bit,
especially those pieces that are used often. The knob on the drawer
where I keep my knives is turning dark gray in color and I want to
polish it up a bit. Unfortunately, I don't know how to go about this
without ruining something. What is the best way to go about polishing
my knob?

What is the best way to go about polishing my knob?

Are your right or left handed? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
Mark wrote in
:

I have nickle-plated hardware on my kitchen cabinets: hinges,
door-pulls, knobs, etc. The hardware has started to tarnish a bit,
especially those pieces that are used often. The knob on the drawer
where I keep my knives is turning dark gray in color and I want to
polish it up a bit. Unfortunately, I don't know how to go about this
without ruining something. What is the best way to go about polishing
my knob?

What is the best way to go about polishing my knob?

Are your right or left handed? :-)

Hey Red - looks like we're the only ones with dirty minds!
Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PanHandler" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
Mark wrote in
:

I have nickle-plated hardware on my kitchen cabinets: hinges,
door-pulls, knobs, etc. The hardware has started to tarnish a bit,
especially those pieces that are used often. The knob on the drawer
where I keep my knives is turning dark gray in color and I want to
polish it up a bit. Unfortunately, I don't know how to go about
this without ruining something. What is the best way to go about
polishing my knob?

What is the best way to go about polishing my knob?

Are your right or left handed? :-)

Hey Red - looks like we're the only ones with dirty minds!
Joe

Nope. It's the quiet ones ya gotta keep an eye on ;-)