Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove oak hardwood floor?

I have a kitchen where the previous owner put tiles down over a
hardwood floor. Needless to say it did not hold up very well over the
years. I want to remove the old tiles and then remove the hardwood
flooring so that I can put down cement board and then re-tile. I
can't put cement board over the hardwood because it would raise the
level of the floor too high. Are there any special tools for prying
up hardwood pieces? (I have no interest in saving the wood.) Is
there such a thing a zero-clearance saw where I can cut around
cabinets etc?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 9:05*pm, wrote:
I have a kitchen where the previous owner put tiles down over a
hardwood floor. *Needless to say it did not hold up very well over the
years. *I want to remove the old tiles and then remove the hardwood
flooring so that I can put down cement board and then re-tile. *I
can't put cement board over the hardwood because it would raise the
level of the floor too high. *Are there any special tools for prying
up hardwood pieces? *(I have no interest in saving the wood.) *Is
there such a thing a zero-clearance saw where I can cut around
cabinets etc?

You want to leave the cabinets in, and cut the oak to the cabinets and
attach cement board to the joists, that does not sound easy if
cabinets have an overhang and what if joist is parallel with the
cabinet and underneath the cabinet, you have nothing to screw the
cement board to, have fun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

On Aug 2, 9:05Â*pm, wrote:
I have a kitchen where the previous owner put tiles down over a
hardwood floor. Â*Needless to say it did not hold up very well over the
years. Â*I want to remove the old tiles and then remove the hardwood
flooring so that I can put down cement board and then re-tile. Â*I
can't put cement board over the hardwood because it would raise the
level of the floor too high. Â*Are there any special tools for prying
up hardwood pieces? Â*(I have no interest in saving the wood.) Â*Is
there such a thing a zero-clearance saw where I can cut around
cabinets etc?

You want to leave the cabinets in, and cut the oak to the cabinets and
attach cement board to the joists, that does not sound easy if
cabinets have an overhang and what if joist is parallel with the
cabinet and underneath the cabinet, you have nothing to screw the
cement board to, have fun.

He said he only wants to take out the hardwood leaving a sub floor under it.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 10:41*pm, ransley wrote:
On Aug 2, 9:05*pm, wrote:

I have a kitchen where the previous owner put tiles down over a
hardwood floor. *Needless to say it did not hold up very well over the
years. *I want to remove the old tiles and then remove the hardwood
flooring so that I can put down cement board and then re-tile. *I
can't put cement board over the hardwood because it would raise the
level of the floor too high. *Are there any special tools for prying
up hardwood pieces? *(I have no interest in saving the wood.) *Is
there such a thing a zero-clearance saw where I can cut around
cabinets etc?

You want to leave the cabinets in, and cut the oak to the cabinets and
attach cement board to the joists, that does not sound easy if
cabinets have an overhang and what if joist is parallel with the
cabinet and underneath the cabinet, you have nothing to screw the
cement board to, have fun.

The cabinets do have an overhang. So what if the joist is parallel to
the cabinet, the cement boards go perpendicular to the joists. You do
realize the subfloor stays in place or was that simple fact lost on
you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 11:59*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
wrote:
Is
there such a thing a zero-clearance saw where I can cut around
cabinets etc?

Fein Multimaster or Bosch Finecut.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

That Bosch Finecut looks perfect, thanks!