Donna

Default How to remove old paint from hardwood?

We just pulled up the carpet in our upstairs to find hardwood floors,
covered with lots of different colors of paint splashes. Our budget
doesn't stretch to refinishing for a few years, so if it's possible, I'd
like to find a way to remove the paint. I have no idea whether it's oil or
latex, and would guess that the paint splashes have been there at least 8
years. Can it be removed to make the floors look decent or should we just
live with it until we can afford to refinish?

Donna

Chris Lewis

According to Donna :
We just pulled up the carpet in our upstairs to find hardwood floors,
covered with lots of different colors of paint splashes. Our budget
doesn't stretch to refinishing for a few years, so if it's possible, I'd
like to find a way to remove the paint. I have no idea whether it's oil or
latex, and would guess that the paint splashes have been there at least 8
years. Can it be removed to make the floors look decent or should we just
live with it until we can afford to refinish?

Chances are that any chemical you can use to remove the paint will also
remove (or at least damage) the floor finish, leaving you with a likely
blotchy mess with bare wood spots that will be subject to stain damage
(from spills etc). It's probably best to leave it alone until you're
ready to refinish.

That said, if the "paint splashes" are "droplets" (rather than smeared
in), a metal spatula (don't use a paint scraper, or at least, as last
resort with extreme care to avoid digging into the finish. A scraper
with a bit of a "hook" would be best) might be able to "pop" them off.
It's worth a try.

If you can DIY the floor refinishing, it's not that expensive to do - floor
sander rental plus some cans of finish.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
SQLit

"Donna" wrote in message
We just pulled up the carpet in our upstairs to find hardwood floors,
covered with lots of different colors of paint splashes. Our budget
doesn't stretch to refinishing for a few years, so if it's possible, I'd
like to find a way to remove the paint. I have no idea whether it's oil

or
latex, and would guess that the paint splashes have been there at least 8
years. Can it be removed to make the floors look decent or should we

just
live with it until we can afford to refinish?

Donna

You might try ice and a sharp solid knife. Freeze each droplet and then
remove. The floor will probably look like it had the measles when your done.

Baron

You will have to try these methods out on an inconspicuous patch of your
floor to make sure the floor finish is not damaged before using them on the
paint:

1. For dried latex paint, try xylene or toluene. It is probably easiest
for you to get it in the formulation called "Goof-Off".

2. For dried oil paint, soak the spot in linseed oil until the paint
softens, then remove it.

Good Luck.