Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Propane hot water - set on a timer?

My propane hot water heater will kick on two or three times each night
to maintian its temperature. It plugs into an outlet for
electricity. Can I plug it into a timer so the water heater does not
turn on until just before we get up in the morning?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 02 Aug 2008 08:31:05a, told us...

My propane hot water heater will kick on two or three times each night
to maintian its temperature. It plugs into an outlet for
electricity. Can I plug it into a timer so the water heater does not
turn on until just before we get up in the morning?

Yes, of course you can, assuming that its thermostat and ignition system are
electrically operated. Make sure that the timer you choose is rated for the
proper voltage and amperage required by the water heater. Most common timers
are designed for controlling lighting, but there are also many that are
designed for controlling appiances.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 08(VIII)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 8:31*am, wrote:
My propane hot water heater will kick on two or three times each night
to maintian its temperature. *It plugs into an outlet for
electricity. *Can I plug it into a timer so the water heater does not
turn on until just before we get up in the morning?

Since the unit plugs in, I guess we can assume that it has electronic
ignition.

Per WB's comment, a properly chosen timer should do the job.
I think I'd shy away from those cheap lighting timers & get a "real"
timer, Intermatic

But before you go through all the hassle of buying & wiring it up, I
would suggest just unplugging the unit for a few hours (long enough to
get the water temp below the T-stat setting) & then plug it back in to
see if everything fires up ok.

If so, you just did what the timer would do & you're good to go. If
there is some sort of non-trivial startup procedure then maybe this
concept won't work.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 1:04*pm, BobK207 wrote:
On Aug 2, 8:31*am, wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Bob. We have lost power several times in the past. Once for
nearly 12 hrs. The water heater started normally when the power was
restored. Thanks for the tip on the Intermatic timer!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 1:56�pm, BuckK wrote:
On Aug 2, 1:04�pm, BobK207 wrote:

On Aug 2, 8:31�am, wrote:

[...]

restored. �Thanks for the tip on the Intermatic timer!- Hide quoted text -

I would begin by carefully adding a extra layer of insulation to the
tank....

This saves energy by preventing the water from cooling to begin with.
Pretty cheap too
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 14:23:34 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Aug 2, 1:56?pm, BuckK wrote:
On Aug 2, 1:04?pm, BobK207 wrote:

On Aug 2, 8:31?am, wrote:

[...]

Excellent suggestion. If he implements just the timer, he won't save
much. If it came on three times for 10 minutes each time in the past,
by using the timer, it will come on one time just before you get up
for maybe 25 minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 2, 1:56?pm, BuckK wrote:
On Aug 2, 1:04?pm, BobK207 wrote:

On Aug 2, 8:31?am, wrote:

[...]

The insulation is a good idea.

He never said how long the burner ran for....but your numbers of 25
minutes in the morning & three times at night for 10 minutes each are
strictly pullled out of the air. As the temp of the w/h falls it
will lose less heat. Your argument seems the same as people who say
letting your house cool off during the day doesn't save any energy
because it takes a lot of fuel to bring it back up to temp.

Setbacks always save energy....how much for a water heater, we'll see
or we need more info to calc it.

One issue with a w/h is letting the water cool too much cold create
health problems.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 2, 1:56?pm, BuckK wrote:
On Aug 2, 1:04?pm, BobK207 wrote:

On Aug 2, 8:31?am, wrote:

[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

It fires up at least three times during the night, for about ten
minutes each time. I agree with your setback comment - we let our
house cool all day then turn on the heat when we get home and save bit
of $. As for insulating, it already has a pretty thick layer
surrounding it. Not sure if more would help...