Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Torque wrench question

Just picked up my newly sharpened blades from the mower place. The repair
guys said "Make damn sure you tighten the bolts right. There's no way to get
the required 40 ft/lb torque with a 3/8" drive. With a breaker bar, yes, but
not with a 3/8 torque wrench." I have a 3/8" drive Matco torque wrench with
adjustments from 10 to 100 ft lbs. It's 18" long, bigger than any breaker
bar I have.

What's this repair guy talking about?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldn't worry about the lawnmower man, just tighten the blades to 40ft/lb
indicated ( assuming that's the right spec) on the wrench and you will be
fine. With an 18 inch wrench even a 90 pound weakling :-) should be able to
get 40 ft/lb.

I personally would just tighten them till they are tight without using a
torque wrench but until you determine what tight means just trust the
wrench.

--
Mikey S.
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Just picked up my newly sharpened blades from the mower place. The repair
guys said "Make damn sure you tighten the bolts right. There's no way to
get the required 40 ft/lb torque with a 3/8" drive. With a breaker bar,
yes, but not with a 3/8 torque wrench." I have a 3/8" drive Matco torque
wrench with adjustments from 10 to 100 ft lbs. It's 18" long, bigger than
any breaker bar I have.

What's this repair guy talking about?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Just picked up my newly sharpened blades from the mower place. The repair
guys said "Make damn sure you tighten the bolts right. There's no way to
get the required 40 ft/lb torque with a 3/8" drive. With a breaker bar,
yes, but not with a 3/8 torque wrench." I have a 3/8" drive Matco torque
wrench with adjustments from 10 to 100 ft lbs. It's 18" long, bigger than
any breaker bar I have.

What's this repair guy talking about?

Maybe he was thinking of a ratchet instead of the breaker bar ? As you have
a torque wrench you know how much force 40 ft lbs is. About 30 pounds of
force on the end of the 18 inch wrench. That is almost nothing. I don't
worry too much about the tightning of the blades. I use some Felpro
antiseize to make them easier to get off next time. Got chastised over here
for doing it, but I have never had a blade to come off while running in 30
years.

One thing, 40 ft lb with your wrench is just as much as with a much larger
wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 4:36*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
Just picked up my newly sharpened blades from the mower place. The repair
guys said "Make damn sure you tighten the bolts right. There's no way to get
the required 40 ft/lb torque with a 3/8" drive. With a breaker bar, yes, but
not with a 3/8 torque wrench." I have a 3/8" drive Matco torque wrench with
adjustments from 10 to 100 ft lbs. It's 18" long, bigger than any breaker
bar I have.

What's this repair guy talking about?

Even if its not torqued right it wont come off because of the rotation
of the motor is oposite. 40 lb is nothing, a 3/8 does it, the guy
doesnt know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Just picked up my newly sharpened blades from the mower place. The repair
guys said "Make damn sure you tighten the bolts right. There's no way to get
the required 40 ft/lb torque with a 3/8" drive. With a breaker bar, yes, but
not with a 3/8 torque wrench." I have a 3/8" drive Matco torque wrench with
adjustments from 10 to 100 ft lbs. It's 18" long, bigger than any breaker
bar I have.

What's this repair guy talking about?

I'm guessing he either thought the bolts would go into aluminum
threads that couldn't take any higher torque, or you wouldn't have
anything to hold the blade in place while tighting the bolts and would
be relying only on engine compression to resist the tightening.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 17:36:53 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Just picked up my newly sharpened blades from the mower place. The repair
guys said "Make damn sure you tighten the bolts right. There's no way to get
the required 40 ft/lb torque with a 3/8" drive. With a breaker bar, yes, but
not with a 3/8 torque wrench." I have a 3/8" drive Matco torque wrench with
adjustments from 10 to 100 ft lbs.

Sure, 100 pounds. Ten pounds.

But what makes you think you can do 40 pounds?

LOL

It's 18" long, bigger than any breaker
bar I have.

What's this repair guy talking about?

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

Just picked up my newly sharpened blades from the mower place. The repair
guys said "Make damn sure you tighten the bolts right. There's no way to
get
the required 40 ft/lb torque with a 3/8" drive. With a breaker bar, yes,
but
not with a 3/8 torque wrench." I have a 3/8" drive Matco torque wrench
with
adjustments from 10 to 100 ft lbs.

Sure, 100 pounds. Ten pounds.

But what makes you think you can do 40 pounds?

LOL

I'm totally misguided. :-)

Impact wrench torque mark Metalworking 38 February 25th 08 12:49 PM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 23rd 08 07:30 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 0 January 21st 08 10:51 PM
Torque wrench nthng2snet UK diy 10 April 3rd 05 10:29 AM
What's a torque wrench? Claudia Home Repair 30 June 1st 04 03:28 AM