Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Framing enclosed stair

I am in the latter part of the planning stages for a bonus room
addition above my garage. There will be an enclosed stairway from the
first floor of the living space that goes to the bonus room through
the garage. The outermost wall will not extend to the garage floor,
but will stop at the bottom of the underside of the stair stringers.
My question is, how is this wall anchored to the stair stringers and
to the ceiling framing so that it does not pull apart from stair
loads? I have several textbooks that detail lots of different framing
scenarios, but none of them cover this one. Any information, links or
book references would be very helpful, as I have been unsuccessful in
my search so far.

Thanks in advance,
John.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 27, 4:36*pm, the_tool_man wrote:
I am in the latter part of the planning stages for a bonus room
addition above my garage. *There will be an enclosed stairway from the
first floor of the living space that goes to the bonus room through
the garage. *The outermost wall will not extend to the garage floor,
but will stop at the bottom of the underside of the stair stringers.
My question is, how is this wall anchored to the stair stringers and
to the ceiling framing so that it does not pull apart from stair
loads? *I have several textbooks that detail lots of different framing
scenarios, but none of them cover this one. *Any information, links or
book references would be very helpful, as I have been unsuccessful in
my search so far.

Thanks in advance,
John.

The problem may be that you are designing this yourself without any
formal architectural training. Works fine for small simple projects
like storage sheds, but in this case you likely will be better off
with a set of professional plans. Two compelling reasons are, the
plans give you the details needed to do the job, and more important,
you will have to have them to pull a permit to do the work unless you
live in a cabin on the Upper Yukon. Might same you some money and
time. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 10:47*pm, Joe wrote:

The problem may be that you are designing this yourself without any
formal architectural training. Works fine for small simple projects
like storage sheds, but in this case you likely will be better off
with a set of professional plans. Two compelling reasons are, the
plans give you the details needed to do the job, and more important,
you will have to have them to pull a permit to do the work unless you
live in a cabin on the Upper Yukon. Might same you some money and
time. Good luck.

Joe

While your assumption that I've had no formal architectural training
is correct, I do have formal training in engineering, and have a good
understanding of the loads involved. It is a simple matter to design
something for this situation, but I was looking for the common
solution rather than reinventing the wheel, so to speak. As it
happens, my carpenter stopped by yesterday to give me his bid for the
job, and he explained to me how it is commonly done.

BTW, you do not need plans to obtain a permit here (SC). I know this
because I took a set with me to get the permit today, and I was never
asked to show them to anyone. They are only interested in estimating
the amount by which the property taxes can be increased once the job
is completed. I suppose they are secondarily concerned with enforcing
building codes, but I saw little evidence to support this.

Regards,
John.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 29, 2:40*pm, the_tool_man wrote:
On Jul 28, 10:47*pm, Joe wrote:

[...]

Seems like your project is off to a good start. It's hard to beat
practical knowledge when a job develops baffling parameters. Hope it
continues to go smoothly.

Joe

Using Lightbulbs in Enclosed Fittings Stuart B UK diy 6 September 18th 07 05:42 PM
enclosed front porch Chris Home Repair 4 February 25th 07 05:05 PM
Enclosed Hot Water vent? ronney Home Repair 6 November 16th 06 01:03 AM
Venting an enclosed TV space? Steve Home Repair 6 September 10th 04 01:35 PM
enclosed trailer Doug Arthurs Metalworking 8 September 11th 03 03:07 PM