Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ends Of Outside Wood: Coating A Good Idea ?

Hello,

Contractor used some good size wooden beams to span an outside Deck to help
support it.

Wood was the "Outdoor" type, so all O.K. there.

But, the ends where it was trimmed to look good are of course bare.

Is this a potential problem ?

Should I coat them with "something", or just forget about it ?

If so, with what ?
Linseed Oil perhaps, or... ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Hello,

Contractor used some good size wooden beams to span an outside Deck to help
support it.

Wood was the "Outdoor" type, so all O.K. there.

But, the ends where it was trimmed to look good are of course bare.

Is this a potential problem ?

Should I coat them with "something", or just forget about it ?

If so, with what ?
Linseed Oil perhaps, or... ?

Thanks,
Bob

We seem to have a large contingent of AR's in here who just love to
spend time and money refinishing decks every year. I'm not among them,
and I'm perfectly happy with weathered wood.

You must search deep within your own soul to ascertain to which camp you
belong. To me, treating the ends is sillier than treating the surfaces.
I say f'getaboutit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 11:03*am, Smitty Two wrote:
*"Robert11" wrote:

Contractor used some good size wooden beams to span an outside Deck to help
support it.

Wood was the "Outdoor" type, so all O.K. there.

But, the ends where it was trimmed to look good are of course bare.

Is this a potential problem ?

Should I coat them with "something", or just forget about it *?

If so, with what ?
Linseed Oil perhaps, or... ?

Thanks,
Bob

We seem to have a large contingent of AR's in here who just love to
spend time and money refinishing decks every year. I'm not among them,
and I'm perfectly happy with weathered wood.

You must search deep within your own soul to ascertain to which camp you
belong. To me, treating the ends is sillier than treating the surfaces.
I say f'getaboutit.

Wood rot starts much more easily from the end grain. Preservative
treatment doesn't necessarily impregnate the entire cross section of
wood, particularly in large beams. Manufacturers almost always advise
applying preservative to cut ends.

The 2006 IRC, Section 319, requires cut ends of treated wood to be
coated with preservative.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 08:49:52 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello,

Contractor used some good size wooden beams to span an outside Deck to help
support it.

Wood was the "Outdoor" type, so all O.K. there.

But, the ends where it was trimmed to look good are of course bare.

Is this a potential problem ?

Should I coat them with "something", or just forget about it ?

If so, with what ?
Linseed Oil perhaps, or... ?

Thanks,
Bob

You didnt say "rated for ground contact". If so, shouldnt be any
reason why you'd need to seal the ends.

If you're so inclined you could use something like Cuprinol.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...uct.do?pid=170

-dickm
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote

But, the ends where it was trimmed to look good are of course bare.
Is this a potential problem ?
Should I coat them with "something", or just forget about it ?

A small container of Thompson's water seal would be the thing to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
"Robert11" wrote

But, the ends where it was trimmed to look good are of course bare.
Is this a potential problem ?
Should I coat them with "something", or just forget about it ?

A small container of Thompson's water seal would be the thing to use.

I thought the consensus wat that Thompson's was just a waste of money?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote
cshenk wrote:

Should I coat them with "something", or just forget about it ?

A small container of Thompson's water seal would be the thing to use.

I thought the consensus wat that Thompson's was just a waste of money?

There might be better products (I dont read every thread). I've had good
luck with it though. Could be climate related issues I suppose. I'm middle
VA Coastal area so it's wet frequently but not all that cold compared to
those north of us.

What Thompson's seems not so great at is on the top floorboards (wears off)
but it's easy to apply another coat. I do recall a fellow in snow country
who didnt think very well of it. Could that be it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Nate Nagel" wrote
cshenk wrote:

Should I coat them with "something", or just forget about it ?

A small container of Thompson's water seal would be the thing to use.

I thought the consensus wat that Thompson's was just a waste of money?

There might be better products (I dont read every thread). I've had good luck
with it though. Could be climate related issues I suppose. I'm middle VA
Coastal area so it's wet frequently but not all that cold compared to those
north of us.

What Thompson's seems not so great at is on the top floorboards (wears off)
but it's easy to apply another coat. I do recall a fellow in snow country who
didnt think very well of it. Could that be it?

I've rarely seen anything good about it here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Contractor used some good size wooden beams to span an outside Deck to help
support it.

Wood was the "Outdoor" type, so all O.K. there.

But, the ends where it was trimmed to look good are of course bare.

Is this a potential problem ?

Should I coat them with "something", or just forget about it *?

You didnt say "rated for ground contact". * If so, shouldnt be any
reason why you'd need to seal the ends. *

The ends were cut so Code requires the ends to be sealed.

Water Heater Flushing: Good idea or bad idea? VQ Home Repair 16 November 20th 17 04:14 AM
Good Idea Hasipups Home Repair 0 August 13th 07 12:07 AM
What is this wood coating? Broadback UK diy 10 January 12th 07 03:45 PM
OT - ICE - A very good idea Just Me Metalworking 6 July 19th 05 04:41 PM
Well it seemed like a good idea... Razz Woodturning 18 January 29th 04 12:46 PM