Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Ends Of Outside Wood: Coating A Good Idea ?

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Hello,

Contractor used some good size wooden beams to span an outside Deck to help
support it.

Wood was the "Outdoor" type, so all O.K. there.

But, the ends where it was trimmed to look good are of course bare.

Is this a potential problem ?

Should I coat them with "something", or just forget about it ?

If so, with what ?
Linseed Oil perhaps, or... ?

Thanks,
Bob

We seem to have a large contingent of AR's in here who just love to
spend time and money refinishing decks every year. I'm not among them,
and I'm perfectly happy with weathered wood.

You must search deep within your own soul to ascertain to which camp you
belong. To me, treating the ends is sillier than treating the surfaces.
I say f'getaboutit.