Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dirt in windows

(I think i'm going to enjoy posting here a lot)

My wife and I aren't neat freaks, we both work full time and have a 14
month old. We try to clean best we can (vaccuum once a week, wash
curtains every couple months..) We try, we're not perfect.

There are older windows in our house that the previous owners didn't
replace (they put in new windows in some places but not all throughout
house... strange).

These older "metal" windows have black dirt in the window crevices.
There is black dirt in the window sill (between outer most window and
inside window).

Is this mold? Could it be full of allergens?

My question is - should i take the time and get a tooth brush and get
into the nooks and crannies and remove all that black dirt? Or just
clean it normally with some cleaner and paper towel.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2008 1:19 PM meatnub spake thus:

(I think i'm going to enjoy posting here a lot)

My wife and I aren't neat freaks, we both work full time and have a 14
month old. We try to clean best we can (vaccuum once a week, wash
curtains every couple months..) We try, we're not perfect.

There are older windows in our house that the previous owners didn't
replace (they put in new windows in some places but not all throughout
house... strange).

These older "metal" windows have black dirt in the window crevices.
There is black dirt in the window sill (between outer most window and
inside window).

Is this mold? Could it be full of allergens?

My question is - should i take the time and get a tooth brush and get
into the nooks and crannies and remove all that black dirt? Or just
clean it normally with some cleaner and paper towel.

Black gunk probably = mold. Usually a little soap (any kind you like to
use for gen'l cleaning) plus a *little* bleach (don't overdo it) will
get rid of it. Toothbrushes work well for nooks & crannies.

Don't sweat mold, unless you happen to be allergic to it (some are, most
aren't).

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:19:12 -0700 (PDT), meatnub
wrote:

(I think i'm going to enjoy posting here a lot)

Post a link here with a pic.

My wife and I aren't neat freaks, we both work full time and have a 14
month old. We try to clean best we can (vaccuum once a week, wash
curtains every couple months..) We try, we're not perfect.

There are older windows in our house that the previous owners didn't
replace (they put in new windows in some places but not all throughout
house... strange).

Fix it when it breaks, not strange at all.

These older "metal" windows have black dirt in the window crevices.
There is black dirt in the window sill (between outer most window and
inside window).

Between the glass panes?

Is this mold? Could it be full of allergens?

My question is - should i take the time and get a tooth brush and get
into the nooks and crannies and remove all that black dirt? Or just
clean it normally with some cleaner and paper towel.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"meatnub" wrote in message
(I think i'm going to enjoy posting here a lot)

My wife and I aren't neat freaks, we both work full time and have a 14
month old. We try to clean best we can (vaccuum once a week, wash
curtains every couple months..) We try, we're not perfect.

There are older windows in our house that the previous owners didn't
replace (they put in new windows in some places but not all throughout
house... strange).

These older "metal" windows have black dirt in the window crevices.
There is black dirt in the window sill (between outer most window and
inside window).

Is this mold? Could it be full of allergens?

My question is - should i take the time and get a tooth brush and get
into the nooks and crannies and remove all that black dirt? Or just
clean it normally with some cleaner and paper towel.

Thanks

One thing you might want to do in your future posts is stay on-point and
leave out extraneous text-- like the entire first paragraph of your OP
(that's Original Post). Get right to your problem...don't tell us about your
aunt Tilly or Uncle Bob....

Posted to alt.home.repair

meatnub wrote:

These older "metal" windows have black dirt in the window crevices.
There is black dirt in the window sill (between outer most window and
inside window).

Is this mold? Could it be full of allergens?

It's most likely just dirt that has accumulated in the sill between
the inside and outside windows. Leave the outside window open during
the rain, and sometimes the rain gets into the opening between the
outside and inside windows. Rain is dirty, and over the years that gap
between the inside and outside windows can accumulate a lot of dust
and dirt from the rain and wind.

My question is - should i take the time and get a tooth brush and get
into the nooks and crannies and remove all that black dirt? Or just
clean it normally with some cleaner and paper towel.

I just wipe it out with a wet paper towel during spring and fall
cleaning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 5:40*pm, "J.H. Holliday" doc@okcorral wrote:
"meatnub" wrote in message

[...]

aunt Tilly or Uncle Bob....- Hide quoted text -

In my opinion that first paragraph did a lot, by giving us a good
hint of how bad the situation may be and what the OP was really
asking.

However I agree that straight to the point questions, providing
full information are the best way of getting good answers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

"meatnub" wrote in message

[...]

Agree. At least we know their only acceptable level is not a Class I
clean room environment.

However I agree that straight to the point questions, providing
full information are the best way of getting good answers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

(I think i'm going to enjoy posting here a lot)

My wife and I aren't neat freaks, we both work full time and have a 14
month old. We try to clean best we can (vaccuum once a week, wash
curtains every couple months..) We try, we're not perfect.

There are older windows in our house that the previous owners didn't
replace (they put in new windows in some places but not all throughout
house... strange).

These older "metal" windows have black dirt in the window crevices.
There is black dirt in the window sill (between outer most window and
inside window).

Is this mold? Could it be full of allergens?

My question is - should i take the time and get a tooth brush and get
into the nooks and crannies and remove all that black dirt? Or just
clean it normally with some cleaner and paper towel.

Thanks

Moisten a Q-tip with household bleach and touch it to a black area. If
the black disappears in a couple minutes you got mold. Be extra
careful about getting bleach on carpet, clothes, skin, eyes, etc. A
toothbrush may flick bleach where you don't want it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 3:19*pm, meatnub wrote:
(I think i'm going to enjoy posting here a lot)

My wife and I aren't neat freaks, we both work full time and have a 14
month old. We try to clean best we can (vaccuum once a week, wash
curtains every couple months..) We try, we're not perfect.

There are older windows in our house that the previous owners didn't
replace (they put in new windows in some places but not all throughout
house... strange).

These older "metal" windows have black dirt in the window crevices.
There is black dirt in the window sill (between outer most window and
inside window).

Is this mold? Could it be full of allergens?

My question is - should i take the time and get a tooth brush and get
into the nooks and crannies and remove all that black dirt? Or just
clean it normally with some cleaner and paper towel.

Thanks

Laundry bleach will kill it if its mold

Where's my dirt going? Nate Zigler Home Repair 10 November 23rd 07 03:13 PM
got dirt? bud[_3_] Home Repair 0 October 29th 07 12:08 AM
Painting over dirt? big e lewis Home Repair 7 December 19th 06 02:24 AM
Mold or Dirt? Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay Home Repair 10 October 28th 06 02:01 AM
How much dirt in a load? Oscar_Lives Home Repair 2 October 3rd 04 11:56 PM