Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting over dirt?

We are cleaning my Mom's house for Christmas. The walls and ceiling in
the livingroom have not been washed good in years. The walls are coming
clean pretty ok, but the white ceiling is something else! I've done the
best with Simple Green at full strenght, applied directly and scrubbed
with a scotchbrite type pad. But it is very slow, and still not coming
clean all the way. Best guess is it has been 30 years since it was
painted, my Dad was a smoker who died over 10 years ago and it really
needs fresh paint. Seems how there is no loose dirt or anything, what
would happen if I just wiped it down a little and painted right over
everything? It is a normal drywall ceiling, perfectly flat, meaning no
textures or anyhing. Would that work ok, or is there any special paint I
would have to use? Any thoughts are appreciated, as we are having family
over next weekend, and it looks terrible with some semi clean spots and
the rest dingy! Thanks, Earl

Posted to alt.home.repair

"big e lewis" wrote in message
[...]

Should be able to put down a fresh layer of primer then paint. I'm sure the
paint is stained by now, not actually dirty per se.

I would give it one more wipe down with TSP, then call it good and put down
the primer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:26:52 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"big e lewis" wrote in message
[...]

But be SURE to rinse off the TSP very. very thoroughly, or it will
interfere with paint adhesion.

At least this is what I was always taught. Any pro painters care
to confirm or deny?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:09:13 -0500, (big e lewis)
wrote:

[...]

Generously prime it, allow to dry and then paint. This is a ceiling
you want to clean/paint. Unless there is build up of cooking grease,
etc. Prime and paint. Primers cover up (diminish) smells of pet urine,
smoke, and sticks to dirt. The final piant will go on easier. Getting
the fresh paint smell out by next week - the challenge.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting over dirt? be sure to remove TSP before painting!

aspasia spake thus:

wrote:

"big e lewis" wrote in message

We are cleaning my Mom's house for Christmas. The walls and
ceiling in the livingroom have not been washed good in years.
[...] Seems how there is no loose dirt or anything, what
would happen if I just wiped it down a little and painted right
over everything? It is a normal drywall ceiling, perfectly flat,
meaning no textures or anyhing. Would that work ok, or is there
any special paint I would have to use?

Should be able to put down a fresh layer of primer then paint. I'm sure the
paint is stained by now, not actually dirty per se.

I would give it one more wipe down with TSP, then call it good and put down
the primer.

But be SURE to rinse off the TSP very. very thoroughly, or it will
interfere with paint adhesion.

At least this is what I was always taught. Any pro painters care
to confirm or deny?

Definite confirmation here.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

big e lewis wrote:

[...]

Fantastic takes off any dirt I have encountered. Rinse well and dry.
Boy, you are pushing it .. get a coat or two of primer on it, and paint
after Christmas. Folks aren't going to sit and stare at the ceiling.
Nice gift for your mom )

Mold or Dirt? Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay Home Repair 10 October 28th 06 02:01 AM
'Digging in the dirt...' a Home Repair 11 July 26th 05 02:10 AM
Moving Dirt Charlie S. Home Repair 9 July 15th 05 01:48 PM
Fill dirt? Pounds on Wood Home Repair 5 April 21st 05 06:57 PM
How much dirt in a load? Oscar_Lives Home Repair 2 October 3rd 04 11:56 PM