Posted to alt.home.repair
big e lewis big e lewis is offline

Default Painting over dirt?

We are cleaning my Mom's house for Christmas. The walls and ceiling in
the livingroom have not been washed good in years. The walls are coming
clean pretty ok, but the white ceiling is something else! I've done the
best with Simple Green at full strenght, applied directly and scrubbed
with a scotchbrite type pad. But it is very slow, and still not coming
clean all the way. Best guess is it has been 30 years since it was
painted, my Dad was a smoker who died over 10 years ago and it really
needs fresh paint. Seems how there is no loose dirt or anything, what
would happen if I just wiped it down a little and painted right over
everything? It is a normal drywall ceiling, perfectly flat, meaning no
textures or anyhing. Would that work ok, or is there any special paint I
would have to use? Any thoughts are appreciated, as we are having family
over next weekend, and it looks terrible with some semi clean spots and
the rest dingy! Thanks, Earl