Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting over dirt? be sure to remove TSP before painting!

aspasia spake thus:

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:26:52 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"big e lewis" wrote in message

We are cleaning my Mom's house for Christmas. The walls and
ceiling in the livingroom have not been washed good in years.
[...] Seems how there is no loose dirt or anything, what
would happen if I just wiped it down a little and painted right
over everything? It is a normal drywall ceiling, perfectly flat,
meaning no textures or anyhing. Would that work ok, or is there
any special paint I would have to use?

Should be able to put down a fresh layer of primer then paint. I'm sure the
paint is stained by now, not actually dirty per se.

I would give it one more wipe down with TSP, then call it good and put down
the primer.

But be SURE to rinse off the TSP very. very thoroughly, or it will
interfere with paint adhesion.

At least this is what I was always taught. Any pro painters care
to confirm or deny?

Definite confirmation here.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)