Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Genie garage opener problem: opens by itself

My 5 year old ggenie garage door opener started misbehaving in the
past month or so.
It will open by itself. Once it's open, I can't close it with the
remote, or the wall button.
I have removed the batteries in the remote controls in my cars and
outside. I have even disconnected the wall control. But as long as the
power if plugged in, it will open by itself.

It doesn't happen immediately. If I leave it plugged in, with a few
hours it will open.

Any suggestion other than replacing the main unit?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dmkAlex wrote:
My 5 year old ggenie garage door opener started misbehaving in the
past month or so.
It will open by itself. Once it's open, I can't close it with the
remote, or the wall button.
I have removed the batteries in the remote controls in my cars and
outside. I have even disconnected the wall control. But as long as the
power if plugged in, it will open by itself.

It doesn't happen immediately. If I leave it plugged in, with a few
hours it will open.

Any suggestion other than replacing the main unit?

Thanks.

Go through the troubleshooting section in the user manual. If you don't
have manual then download from the Genie web site. Then call Genie Co
technical support and explain. They will ask you to go though
troubleshooting procedures.... Then you can say I already did that.

I had a similar problem. My door would open with button or remote then
not close. Genie sent me a main circuit board for free after I went
through all the troubleshooting stuff.
If you can't get a warranty fix then I would get a new opener.

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 10:00*pm, dmkAlex wrote:
My 5 year old ggenie garage door opener started misbehaving in the
past month or so.
It will open by itself. Once it's open, I can't close it with the
remote, or the wall button.
I have removed the batteries in the remote controls in my cars and
outside. I have even disconnected the wall control. But as long as the
power if plugged in, it will open by itself.

It doesn't happen immediately. If I leave it plugged in, with a few
hours it will open.

Any suggestion other than replacing the main unit?

Thanks.

The tension or set point could be set to high, back it off on the main
ceiling unit, mine was set that way. Remotes also stick to an on
position.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J.H. Holliday" doc@okcorral wrote in message
. ..
"dmkAlex" wrote in message
My 5 year old genie garage door opener started misbehaving in the
past month or so.
It will open by itself. Once it's open, I can't close it with the
remote, or the wall button.
I have removed the batteries in the remote controls in my cars and
outside. I have even disconnected the wall control. But as long as the
power if plugged in, it will open by itself.

It doesn't happen immediately. If I leave it plugged in, with a few
hours it will open.

Any suggestion other than replacing the main unit?

Thanks.

Exorcist...

Suggest you unplug the Genie and remove (temporarily) the wires which are
presently connecting the Genie unit to the wall button. Then plug the Genie
back in and see if it it operates all by itself with no wires connected. You
may have a short in your button wiring, a defective button, or poorly
connected wires at the Genie, and all 3 of these possibilities will be
eliminated by disconnecting the wires.

If the door still operates randomly with the button wiring disconnected,
then the unit itself needs service, most likely a defective logic board, and
should be serviced by a qualified Genie technician. If the problem
disappears, trace the wiring to the button to see where the fault lies. You
may have a staple which is occasionally shorting the wires, a bad
connection, a broken button, etc.

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dmkAlex" wrote in message
[...]

Smarty- Hide quoted text -

change code, perhaps a neighbor has the same code.

my brother in law has X10 and couldnt understand why his lights turned
on every nite at 5 pm, till i explained a neighbor likely had the same
code.

we changed code, no more troubles

also look for button wires contacting other things.

as a child i fixed our doorbell that rang at random times.

I noticed it rang wjhen the hot water tank turned on.

doorbell wires crossed gas pipe hanger. tank turning on caused
doorbell to ring, at all times of day and nite

boy was i excited fixing it
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dmkAlex" wrote in message

[...]

Do you remember how those wires shorted on the heater rang the door
bell? Sounds like a good way to rig up a bell to tell when the heater
turns on and how long it runs. Maybe we can do the same on the heat
supply and well pump:-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthony Diodati wrote:
wrote in message

change code, perhaps a neighbor has the same code.

But that wouldn't explain why the door won't close afterwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote in message
Suggest you unplug the Genie and remove (temporarily) the wires which are
presently connecting the Genie unit to the wall button. Then plug the
Genie back in and see if it it operates all by itself with no wires
connected. You may have a short in your button wiring, a defective button,
or poorly connected wires at the Genie, and all 3 of these possibilities
will be eliminated by disconnecting the wires.

If the door still operates randomly with the button wiring disconnected,
then the unit itself needs service, most likely a defective logic board,
and should be serviced by a qualified Genie technician. If the problem
disappears, trace the wiring to the button to see where the fault lies.
You may have a staple which is occasionally shorting the wires, a bad
connection, a broken button, etc.

Smarty

Smarty That sounds like a good idea.
Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

change code, perhaps a neighbor has the same code.

my brother in law has X10 and couldnt understand why his lights turned
on every nite at 5 pm, till i explained a neighbor likely had the same
code.

we changed code, no more troubles

also look for button wires contacting other things.

as a child i fixed our doorbell that rang at random times.

I noticed it rang wjhen the hot water tank turned on.

doorbell wires crossed gas pipe hanger. tank turning on caused
doorbell to ring, at all times of day and nite

boy was i excited fixing it

Another good possibility

Let us know what you come up with.
Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

Called Genie.
They pin pointed that it was a circuit board problem
Unit out of warranty, so $65 for a replacement.
That's still cheaper than $200 for a new unit.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dmkAlex" wrote in message
Called Genie.
They pin pointed that it was a circuit board problem
Unit out of warranty, so $65 for a replacement.
That's still cheaper than $200 for a new unit.

Thanks.

I'll bet they've seen it before.
Well $65.00 is not too bad.
Thanks for the follow up.