Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default Genie garage opener problem: opens by itself

dmkAlex wrote:
My 5 year old ggenie garage door opener started misbehaving in the
past month or so.
It will open by itself. Once it's open, I can't close it with the
remote, or the wall button.
I have removed the batteries in the remote controls in my cars and
outside. I have even disconnected the wall control. But as long as the
power if plugged in, it will open by itself.

It doesn't happen immediately. If I leave it plugged in, with a few
hours it will open.

Any suggestion other than replacing the main unit?

Thanks.

Go through the troubleshooting section in the user manual. If you don't
have manual then download from the Genie web site. Then call Genie Co
technical support and explain. They will ask you to go though
troubleshooting procedures.... Then you can say I already did that.

I had a similar problem. My door would open with button or remote then
not close. Genie sent me a main circuit board for free after I went
through all the troubleshooting stuff.
If you can't get a warranty fix then I would get a new opener.

Kevin