Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Don't use brooms. Sawdust causes cancer!

You can't make this **** up.

"[UK] Carpenters and woodworkers have been told not to use brooms to sweep
up sawdust because they are considered dangerous under 'ridiculous' new
health and safety guidelines. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) claims
that sweeping up wood chippings in dusty workplaces can provoke asthma
attacks and long term exposure lead to nose cancer."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2307275/'Ridiculous'-health-and-safety-rules-tell-carpenters-to-ban-the-broom.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2008 4:07 PM HeyBub spake thus:

You can't make this **** up.

"[UK] Carpenters and woodworkers have been told not to use brooms to sweep
up sawdust because they are considered dangerous under 'ridiculous' new
health and safety guidelines. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) claims
that sweeping up wood chippings in dusty workplaces can provoke asthma
attacks and long term exposure lead to nose cancer."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2307275/'Ridiculous'-health-and-safety-rules-tell-carpenters-to-ban-the-broom.html

Maybe not so ridiculous; haven't you ever gotten a bad sneezing attack
after sweeping up and breathing the resulting dust cloud?

But rather than telling woodworkers not to use brooms, why not advise
wearing respirators? That sounds more reasonable. I'm wearing mine more
and more (and believe me, I'm not hypersensitive: I live near
Beserkeley, and I see and hear from plenty of hypersensitive types there).

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
You can't make this **** up.

"[UK] Carpenters and woodworkers have been told not to use brooms to sweep
up sawdust because they are considered dangerous under 'ridiculous' new
health and safety guidelines. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) claims
that sweeping up wood chippings in dusty workplaces can provoke asthma
attacks and long term exposure lead to nose cancer."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2307275/'Ridiculous'-health-and-safety-rules-tell-carpenters-to-ban-the-broom.html

I know I developed asthma after working with wood for several years. There
maybe something to this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 7/18/2008 4:07 PM HeyBub spake thus:

You can't make this **** up.

"[UK] Carpenters and woodworkers have been told not to use brooms to
sweep up sawdust because they are considered dangerous under 'ridiculous'
new health and safety guidelines. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
claims that sweeping up wood chippings in dusty workplaces can provoke
asthma attacks and long term exposure lead to nose cancer."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2307275/'Ridiculous'-health-and-safety-rules-tell-carpenters-to-ban-the-broom.html

Maybe not so ridiculous; haven't you ever gotten a bad sneezing attack
after sweeping up and breathing the resulting dust cloud?

But rather than telling woodworkers not to use brooms, why not advise
wearing respirators? That sounds more reasonable.

snip

My wife is always after me to wear a respirator when I'm working in the
garage.

One reason the HSE maybe suggesting to use vacuum cleaners is that everyone
in the area would have to wear a respirator.

Another reason maybe that even after the sawdust has been swept up some
would still remain in the air.

Still....good advice on your part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/18/2008 8:28 PM David Nebenzahl said the following:
[...]

Even more important when your workshop is frequently visited by mice
and/or other rodents. Their droppings and urine can contain Hantivirus,
which is fatal.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/index.htm

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/18/2008 8:31 PM ythread said the following:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

You can't make this **** up.

"[UK] Carpenters and woodworkers have been told not to use brooms to sweep
up sawdust because they are considered dangerous under 'ridiculous' new
health and safety guidelines. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) claims
that sweeping up wood chippings in dusty workplaces can provoke asthma
attacks and long term exposure lead to nose cancer."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2307275/'Ridiculous'-health-and-safety-rules-tell-carpenters-to-ban-the-broom.html

I know I developed asthma after working with wood for several years. There
maybe something to this.

I developed asthma after removing the complete interior and jute
padding from a 1961 Lincoln Continental without a mask.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

ythread wrote:
[...]

Does anyone still use brooms anymore? Most contractors I know use
either a Shop-Vac or something that looks like the offspring of an old
Kirby and an Electrolux, all on a little rolling cart. (I forget what
the actual name of that product is, but it does work well.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

I know I developed asthma after working with wood for several years.
There maybe something to this.

I developed asthma after removing the complete interior and jute
padding from a 1961 Lincoln Continental without a mask.

Neither wood nor jute cause asthma. Wood, jute, or just about anything else
can cause an asthma ATTACK, but are not the underlying causes. In this
regard, asthma is similar to an allergy. Asthma, or more specifically, the
sensitivity to certain things is entirely genetic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
You can't make this **** up.

"[UK] Carpenters and woodworkers have been told not to use brooms to sweep
up sawdust because they are considered dangerous under 'ridiculous' new
health and safety guidelines. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) claims
that sweeping up wood chippings in dusty workplaces can provoke asthma
attacks and long term exposure lead to nose cancer."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2307275/'Ridiculous'-health-and-safety-rules-tell-carpenters-to-ban-the-broom.html

Since we aren't really sure what causes cancer (and we know that a lot
of cancers are related to long term exposure to irritants) it really
isn't a good idea to be constantly exposed to irritants. The article was
about a commercial operations not someone sweeping up sawdust after they
built a birdhouse.

Also it would be quite unusual to see a commercial shop in the US that
didn't have a vacuum collection system in place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UPDATE: War on brooms continues

1. New law says shopkeepers must sweep sidewalks in front of their shops.
2. It is against law for non-union people to sweep sidewalks.

I don't know about vacuuming...

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/can...html?id=665027

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/can...html?id=665027

What's yellow and sleeps six?

A highway department truck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

1. New law says shopkeepers must sweep sidewalks in front of their shops.
2. It is against law for non-union people to sweep sidewalks.

I don't know about vacuuming...

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/can...html?id=665027

Incredible. Damned if anyone would tell me I can't sweep my own sidewalk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
willshak wrote:

I know I developed asthma after working with wood for several years.
There maybe something to this.

I developed asthma after removing the complete interior and jute
padding from a 1961 Lincoln Continental without a mask.

Neither wood nor jute cause asthma. Wood, jute, or just about anything
else can cause an asthma ATTACK, but are not the underlying causes. In
this regard, asthma is similar to an allergy. Asthma, or more
specifically, the sensitivity to certain things is entirely genetic.

Sorry I missed that "MD" after your name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

"jthread" wrote in message

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
willshak wrote:

I know I developed asthma after working with wood for several years.
There maybe something to this.

I developed asthma after removing the complete interior and jute
padding from a 1961 Lincoln Continental without a mask.

Neither wood nor jute cause asthma. Wood, jute, or just about anything
else can cause an asthma ATTACK, but are not the underlying causes. In
this regard, asthma is similar to an allergy. Asthma, or more
specifically, the sensitivity to certain things is entirely genetic.

Sorry I missed that "MD" after your name.

And you really need to put PHD after yours. That's for Piled High and
Deep.

Steve

lol

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/can...html?id=665027

What's yellow and sleeps six?

A highway department truck.

You may laugh, but I invented a device that could cut the number of
municipal works in half !

The device was essentially a bipod that clamps on to the handle of a shovel
or hoe.

My invention's purpose was to keep the tool in an upright position, thereby
removing the necessity for hourly workers to stand around a hole being dug.

My city councilman didn't think it was a good idea at all.

Toad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jthread wrote:

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

"jthread" wrote in message

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
willshak wrote:

I know I developed asthma after working with wood for several years.
There maybe something to this.

I developed asthma after removing the complete interior and jute
padding from a 1961 Lincoln Continental without a mask.

Neither wood nor jute cause asthma. Wood, jute, or just about
anything else can cause an asthma ATTACK, but are not the underlying
causes. In this regard, asthma is similar to an allergy. Asthma, or
more specifically, the sensitivity to certain things is entirely
genetic.

Sorry I missed that "MD" after your name.

And you really need to put PHD after yours. That's for Piled High and
Deep.

Steve

lol

I'm not an MD, but I am an allergy sufferer. A woodworker getting an
attack from the dust of clean new wood is pretty rare, but any heavy
intake of dust can cause problems. In the case of the gutted Lincoln,
I'd bet the actual allergen was the stuff LIVING IN the sound deadening,
not the material itself. The hidden areas of a car get damp on a regular
basis. Warm dark damp spaces are where all sorts of common allergens
like to breed.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
jthread wrote:

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

"jthread" wrote in message

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
willshak wrote:

[...]

That's true. Things ingested into the lungs cannot be flushed out. Think
asbestos. If one is allergic to something and it gets into the lungs and
does not dissipate by itself, it could cause cancer or permanent medical
problems, like asthma.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here in the USA we have the right to keep and bear brooms. Protected by the
second Dummendmant.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

1. New law says shopkeepers must sweep sidewalks in front of their shops.
2. It is against law for non-union people to sweep sidewalks.

I don't know about vacuuming...

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/can...html?id=665027

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Here in the USA we have the right to keep and bear brooms. Protected by the
second Dummendmant.

Personally, I am very glad the Supreme Court upheld the right to keep and bare
arms. I'd hate to wear long sleeved shirts in the Texas summer.
-- Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/20/2008 4:00 PM Stormin Mormon said the following:
Here in the USA we have the right to keep and bear brooms. Protected by the
second Dummendmant.

Don't forget the right to arm bears.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
aemeijers wrote:
jthread wrote:

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

"jthread" wrote in message

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
willshak wrote:

[...]

that isn't correct. things of a certain size or certain configuration
(asbestos has small hooks that dig in so the fibers won't move, for example)
can't be flushed out; things larger can be flushed out of normal, correctly
working lungs.

tongue cancer [email protected] Home Repair 2 January 9th 08 05:21 PM
Brooms daniel peterman Metalworking 12 December 23rd 05 03:27 AM
Cell Phones Microwave Cancer MilkyWhy Home Repair 8 January 30th 05 09:44 PM